College Now (Dual Enrollment Program) Questions and Answers
- 1) What is College Now?
- College Now is a program where eligible high school seniors may enroll in
one STCC credit course each semester free of charge. STCC will waive tuition
and fees. Students will pay for books, supplies, and must provide their own
transportation. Those who participate are subject to all STCC academic and student
policies. Students may take any credit course for which they meet the prerequisites
including day, evening, weekend and online offerings. Courses may be taken to
fulfill high school graduation requirements or to pursue an academic interest.
- 2) Who can participate?
- Eligible high school seniors, who are Massachusetts residents, may enroll
in one STCC credit course each semester free of charge. Students may take any
credit course for which they meet the prerequisite including day, evening, weekend,
and online classes. The approval of a guidance counselor or other designated
school official is required.
- 3) Is the course really FREE?
- Yes, the course is free. The student is responsible for the cost of the
books and supplies.
- 4) Can a participant take more than one course?
- Yes, a participant can take more than one course, but he or she will be
billed for any additional courses (besides the initial free course). All
tuition and fees will apply.
- 5) Can a College Now participant be admitted to a degree program at STCC
while still in high school?
- Only individuals who have graduated from high school or earned a GED can
be admitted into a degree program.
- 6) As a College Now participant am I subject to all of the College's policies
- 7) What if I don't get permission from my guidance counselor to take the
course I want?
- You cannot take the course as part of the College Now program without the
permission of your guidance counselor.
- 8) What if I don't have the prerequisites needed for the course I want?
- You cannot take a course until the prerequisite requirements are met. Your
guidance counselor can assist you in choosing another course.
- 9) Can a College Now participant receive financial aid?
- Federal financial aid guidelines require that all financial aid applicants
have graduated from high school or have earned their GED and have been admitted
into a degree program in order to be considered for federal financial aid.
- 10) Do I have to provide my own transportation to STCC?
- Yes, you must provide your own transportation. Information on how to obtain
a free parking decal or a free PVTA bus pass is available at
- 11) Can I take an evening class, Saturday morning class, or an online class
as a College Now participant?
- Yes, students may take any credit course for which they meet the prerequisites.
This includes day, evening, weekend and online offerings. Developmental/remedial
or non-credit courses may not be taken.
- 12) Can I use these college credits at another college once I graduate from
high school if I choose to go somewhere else?
- Typically different colleges will accept the transfer credit as long as
you earn the minimum grade required by that college and the course is required
for the academic major you are accepted into. It is highly recommended
you speak directly to the colleges of your interest about their credit acceptance
policy for more details.
- 13) After I graduate from high school can I continue my enrollment at STCC?
- Absolutely! You will be one or more courses closer to earning your
Associates Degree at STCC just by participating in College Now.