College Now (Dual Enrollment Program) Questions and Answers
- What is College Now?
- College Now is a program that allows high school students to
enroll in one STCC credit course each semester free of charge. STCC
will waive tuition and fees. Students will pay for books, supplies,
and must provide their own transportation. Those who participate
are subject to all STCC academic and student policies. Students
may take any credit course for which they meet the prerequisites
including day, evening, weekend and online offerings. Courses may
be taken to fulfill high school graduation requirements or to pursue
an academic interest.
- Who can participate?
- Eligible high school juniors and seniors may enroll in one STCC
credit course each semester free of charge. Students may take any
credit course including day, evening, weekend, and online classes.
The approval of a guidance counselor or other designated school
official is required.
- Is the course really FREE?
- Yes, the course is free. The student is responsible for the
cost of the books and supplies.
- Can a participant take more than one course?
- Yes, a participant can take more than one course, but he or
she will be billed for any additional courses. All tuition
and fees will apply.
- Can a College Now participant be admitted to a degree program
at STCC while still in high school?
- Only individuals who have graduated from high school or earned
a GED can be admitted into a degree program.
- As a College Now participant am I subject to all of the College's
policies and procedures?
- What if I don't get permission from my guidance counselor
to take the course I want?
- You cannot take the course as part of the College Now program
without the permission of your guidance counselor.
- What if I don't have the prerequisites needed for the course
- You cannot take a course until the prerequisite requirements
are met. Your guidance counselor can assist you in choosing another
- Can a College Now participant receive financial aid?
- Federal financial aid guidelines require that all financial
aid applicants have graduated from high school or have earned their
GED/HiSET and have been admitted into a degree program in order
to be considered for federal financial aid.
- Do I have to provide my own transportation to STCC?
- Yes, you must provide your own transportation. Information on
how to obtain a free parking decal or a free PVTA bus pass is available
- Can I use these college credits at another college once
I graduate from high school if I choose to go somewhere else?
- It is highly recommended that you speak directly to the college
of your interest regarding their transfer policies. Most colleges
have a minimum grade requirement for transfer courses.
- After I graduate from high school can I continue my enrollment
- Absolutely! You will be one step closer to earning your
STCC certificate/degree just by participating in College Now.