Things to Know About Cooperative Education

If I'm a student at STCC, can I get any help in finding a job from the college?

Yes. The Office of Cooperative Education, Career Services and Transfer Affairs here at STCC can assist you in many ways. Some of our services include: resume development assistance, interview preparation, job development ideas and the opportunity to access the many job listings which come into our office daily.

I need a part-time job while in college; can the college help me find one?

Yes. The office listed above has a binder full of current part-time jobs. Some may require specific skills while others may be general in nature. Because of the large variety and frequency in which these jobs are listed, it is best to stop in often.

Does the college guarantee I will get a job?

No. No one can guarantee that everyone will get a job, BUT with assistance and a responsible positive attitude, you can greatly increase your changes of securing employment.

How can I get experience in my field of study? Seems you need experience plus a degree to even get an interview in today's job market.

Although experience in one's field of study is not always required, it doesn't hurt to have some background and exposure. Many students take advantage of the college's Cooperative Education and Internship programs in order to gain experience in their field before they graduate from STCC. Both of these programs are available to all students regardless of their major. A certain grade point average and semester status are required. We encourage all interested students to stop by the office and ask about these two great programs.

Once I graduate from STCC, what job search services are available to me?

All graduates are entitled to free, life-long career search assistance from this office. The services are extensive and geared to help the recent and not-so-recent graduate. We encourage anyone needing assistance from our office to give us a call and arrange an appointment to find out more. A simple appointment could be the first step toward a rewarding career.

Cooperative Education

What is Co-op?

Cooperative education is a program in which students receive academic credit for off-campus educational work experience related directly to their major field of study.

How do students find their Co-op position?

The Office of Cooperative Education works closely with the appropriate department, assisting students in locating and approving appropriate job opportunities.

Do students participating in the Co-op experience receive pay, and what about internships?

Yes. Given the mounting cost to obtain a college education today, this is one of its most attractive features; however, internships are project based and only academic credit is awarded.  Students choose to participate in both programs in order to get the experience in their major field of student and to build their resume at the same time.

What about credit?

The fact that academic credit is given for Co-op is a reflection of the importance educators attribute to experience-based learning. Three, six or nine credits are assigned to the Co-op experience.

Who is eligible?

Part-time and full-time students who have completed 15 or more credits and who have achieved a 2.5 cum. QPA or higher are eligible. Approval for participation must be obtained from the applicable faculty coordinator and the Director of Cooperative Education.

Will Co-op really help students obtain employment after college?

Over 50% of those students who participate in Co-ops are offered and accept full-time employment from their Co-op employers after graduation.

Things to Know About Transfer

What is Joint Admission‌

(Massachusetts area private colleges)

Joint Admission, as the name implies, offers students from select majors the opportunity to apply and be accepted at both our college and one or more of the private colleges in the area.

Can I transfer before I graduate‌

Students can transfer before they graduate but, depending on which college they are planning to attend, they are better off finishing their degree at the community college.

What is the application process at a college or university‌

At most colleges and universities, there is an application and fee that are required. Some colleges will require high school transcripts, SAT scores or ACT scores along with faculty recommendations. Each school has their own application procedure which may differ from one another.

If I attended college before STCC, do I need to send transcripts from that college to the four-year college I plan to transfer to‌

Yes. The transcripts from all colleges you have attended need to be sent to any college(s) to which you are sending your application.

Is the essay an important part of the application‌

Yes. The essay is an important part of the application. It will give the admissions representative additional insights regarding you, the applicant.

Are SAT's required for transfer students‌

Some colleges will request SAT scores. The general rule is: the longer you have been out of high school, the less important these test scores will be.

How do I know that my classes will transfer‌

There are certain colleges for which the Cooperative Education, Career Services and Transfer Affairs Office has transfer equivalency guides. All colleges will send out a transfer credit evaluation either with the acceptance letter or shortly after that. This credit evaluation will show all of the student's course work and how it has been accepted. The two main questions to ask are: how long will it take to complete the degree and what do I have left to finish‌

Is financial aid available for transfer students‌

Yes. There are funds set aside for transfer students at most colleges, but not all colleges. Some colleges will offer transfer scholarships. Once you transfer, your cost of education will change, so will your eligibility for financial aid. Students should fill out all the required forms for the college(s) they are interested in attending.