STCC Financial Aid - Determining Your Eligibility

Springfield Technical Community College follows the U.S. Department of Education guidelines in administering its financial aid programs. Simply stated, the formula used to determine eligibility is:

Cost of Attendance - Expected Family Contribution = Financial Aid Need

The Financial Aid Office determines your cost of attendance. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is determined by information supplied on your FAFSA and calculated according to guidelines of the national "need-analysis" process established by the U.S. Department of Education. The following factors are considered during need-analysis:

  • Family income;
  • Number of family members;
  • Number of family members attending college on at least a half-time basis;
  • Family assets, excluding the primary residence

Any aid received from outside sources such as private scholarships, grant awards and alternative loans will affect your financial need as these are also consider resources in determining your aid eligibility.

Financial aid eligibility is based on your resources and those of your parents, if you are a dependent student. If you are independent, your eligibility is based on your (and your spouse's, if applicable) resources alone. You are considered an independent student only if you can answer "yes" to any of the following criteria:

  • Were you born before January 1, 1993?
  • As of today, are you married? (Answer "Yes" if you are separated but not divorced)
  • At the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.)?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2016, and June 30, 2017?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2017?
  • When you were age 13 or older, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent/ward of the court?
  • Are you or were you an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • Are you or were you in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2015, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2015, did the director of an emergency shelter program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2015, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?
  • To calculate an estimate of what types of aid you may have received for the 2015-2016 school year, go to our Netprice Calculator.



Your financial aid package is based upon 2 things, financial need and the availability of funds. Our policy is to award 'free' student aid (does not have to be paid back) before offering a student loan. Loans are offered when we cannot meet your need with free aid or funding is no longer available.


Award letters are based on full time enrollment (12+ credits). The Financial Aid Office (FAO) will verify your enrollment status and your financial aid award(s) will be adjusted to reflect the credits you are attending. Click to see individual award criteria.


Your financial aid award is based on anticipated costs for each term. If you stop attending classes, you may not be eligible for all of the aid awarded. The college will calculate the amount of aid you are entitled to receive up to the point you stop attending classes. If aid was disbursed, the unearned portion must be returned to the appropriate federal and/or state agencies. You are responsible for repaying any unearned aid received. Even though the college does not require instructors to take attendance, the institution does monitor attendance to see if you unofficially stopped attending classes. It is important that you officially notify the college if you need to stop attending one or all of your classes. Course Withdrawal and College Withdrawal forms are available at the Registrar's Office. More information about the Withdrawal Policy can be viewed online at:


In order to receive financial aid, you must remain in good academic standing and continue making satisfactory progress while pursuing your degree or certificate. The FAO will monitor your progress and academic standing at the end of each semester. Failure to successfully complete the courses attempted may result in a loss of financial aid. Our SAP Policy can be viewed online at:

How To Read Your Pending AidPAYING THE BILL

Your financial aid award will automatically be applied towards your bill. If your financial aid award is not enough to cover tuition and fees, you are responsible for the balance of your bill. For inquiries regarding your bill, please contact the Office of Student Accounts at: 413-755-4696.


If you have financial aid funds remaining after paying your educational expenses, the excess cash will be disbursed to you. The college begins disbursing excess cash after the 30th day in the semester. Late disbursements occur throughout the year as files are completed and awarded.


  • You cannot receive financial aid for a course that you never attended. Any funds disbursed based for a class that you did not attend may result in your owing money to the school.
  • You cannot receive financial aid for Audited classes or CLEP and Challenge exams.
  • Keep your name and address current with the Registrar's Office to ensure receipt of any excess cash you may be eligible for.
  • You must notify the FAO if you are in receipt of a scholarship or grant from another source. The receipt of additional aid may impact your eligibility for federal or state need based financial aid.
  • You cannot receive aid from more than one college at the same time. If you are taking classes at 2 different schools, you can only receive financial aid from one institution.


For financial aid purposes, there is a limit to the number of times that students can repeat coursework. A student may repeat a previously passed course one time in an attempt to receive a better grade. A course that was previously not passed, may be repeated up to two times.