Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Health Services Office?
The Health Services Office is located in Building 20, Room 320, 2 floors above the bookstore. The office is open weekdays from 7:30 - 3:30. Our phone number is (413) 755-4230 and our fax number is (413) 755-6045.
What immunizations do I need if I am a full-time, non-health related major?
Proof of tetanus & pertussis (Tdap) in the last ten (10) years, 2 doses of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine and 3 doses of Hepatitis B vaccine as well as evidence of Varicella (chickenpox) immunity. These vaccinations are required for all high schools and colleges in Massachusetts.
Students may submit copies of immunization records from previous schools. If no childhood or school vaccination records are available students may have a blood test, called a titer, drawn to prove immunity to the above diseases.
What is required for Health Science majors?
Any student in a health field must submit all vaccination records required for full-time, non-health major students. Additionally, students enrolled in a health field must have a physical exam as well as yearly tuberculosis screening (Mantoux skin test or a blood test called either Quantiferon Gold or T-SPOT).
Where can a student get these immunizations if he/she has no proof?
If a student needs to be re-immunized because of age or inability to locate his/her record, there are many locations and clinics to obtain vaccinations, some at a reduced rate. Also, many vaccinations are provided at the Health Services Office at a minimal charge, including Mantoux testing and Influenza vaccine. Vaccinations and Mantoux testing are by appointment only.
Are any students other than health programs required to have a physical?
All athletes must have proof of a physical exam within the past year to participate in a sport. If they do not have their own doctor and require a physical exam, this service is offered free of charge at the Health Services Office.
Are there any medical services on campus if I am ill or injured?
The Health Services office is open for patient evaluations year round. A full-time physician assistant is on campus for appointments and walk-in service. The campus physician is available weekly; please call Health Services for hours. Campus Police respond to all campus emergencies.
Do you distribute medication?
Some over-the-counter medications are available in a dispenser located in the lobby of the Health Services office.
Is literature and other information on various illnesses available in the Health Office?
We have a variety of pamphlets and other resources on Health and Wellness as well as medical conditions and treatments.
What are the Health Insurance Requirements, Coverage and Benefits?
State law requires all individuals to be insured. Students enrolled in nine (9) credits or more are automatically enrolled in a policy and the cost is added to the student's bill. A pamphlet is sent to students describing his/her benefits, and once the bill is paid the student receives an insurance wallet card. The amount of the insurance is listed on the website . Insurance coverage is from September 1 to August 31. If a student is only enrolled in the spring semester then the coverage is from January 1 to August 31.
If a student is already insured, the cost of the additional policy may be waived. Waiving the insurance is done online at
Students should choose a primary care physician that accepts the student insurance. The Health Services Office does not currently accept insurance.