STCC Honors Program - Colloquia Descriptions
*Please note: The course offering will vary from semester to semester and year to year. Each semester there will be a listing of the specific Honors Colloquia and Seminars being offered. No honors colloquia are offered during the summer.
STCC Honors Program Course Competencies for all Colloquia and Seminars:
- 1. Investigate a topic using an interdisciplinary approach.
- Student demonstrates ability to evaluate a topic.
- Student uses ability to analyze a topic in various and appropriate contexts, including social, historical, political, scientific, and artistic.
- 2. Conduct independent scholarly research
- Student demonstrates a strong knowledge of the research process.
- Student demonstrates familiarity with appropriate methods and sources for research, including the library, the Internet, as well as other appropriate sources.
- 3. Synthesize information from various sources
- Student demonstrates ability to compile research material.
- Student demonstrates ability to evaluate research materials.
- Student demonstrates ability to apply in writing and discussions information acquired through research and other methods
- Development of critical thinking skills appropriate to an Honors
- Student uses clear logical patterns of thinking, argumentation, and questioning.
- Student is able to discern different points of view.