International Students - Student Visa Rules
As a potential student or as someone who wishes to change their current visa to F-1 student visa, there are certain admissions guidelines that you must follow:
- You MUST be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
- You ARE NOT permitted to work off campus at all during the time you are enrolled in school unless you qualify under special circumstances as defined by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services.
- ANY changes made to your SEVIS I-20 needs to be approved by the Foreign Student Advisor before you make them. This includes: change of address, academic major (program), drop below 12 credits, failing a class/withdrawal from a class, traveling outside the US, and taking a semester off to due to medical problems, etc.
- You MUST report to the Foreign Student Advisor if you plan to graduate early from your major (program) or if you need more time to complete your major (program). All changes must be approved through SEVIS before your I-20 can be updated and your F-1 corrected.
- We DO NOT handle any matters regarding expired visas, renewing of visas or issuing any other visas besides F-1 student visas.
- We WILL NOT write letters of support for non-academic purposes.
**PLEASE KNOW THAT STAYING IN STATUS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE STUDENT.
At anytime, if you have any additional questions about F-1 student status, please call Vonetta Smith-Lightfoot in the Admissions Office at (413) 755-4569 or by email at email@example.com