International Students - FAQ

1. What is a "student visa?

A student visa (technically known as an F-1 visa) is a visa status that states the primary reason a person is in the country is to attend school full-time.

2. How does someone from another country obtain an F-1 visa?

If a student would like to obtain an F-1 visa he or she must forward proper documentation to the Admissions Office. This documentation includes the correct and sufficient academic credentials in order to be accepted to the College (see question #3). The applicant also needs to prove that he or she have enough financial support. This must be in the form of a bank statement in their name and/or notarized letter from someone stating that they are willing to provide financial support for the student. The amount of money needed changes from year to year with the change in tuition and fees. All students seeking an F-1 visa also need to forward a photocopy of all pages of their passport to the Admissions Office.

3. What academic credentials do international students need to get into the College?

Although they have to complete a different application, international students need the same prerequisites as other students to be accepted into the various programs of the College. If a student is from a non-English speaking country, they must provide TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores of at 80 or higher on the internet-based test (IBT) or 525 or higher on the paper-based test to be considered for admission to STCC.

4. Are all STCC students from other countries on F-1 visas?

No. Some students from other countries come to the United States with various visa statuses. These statuses include visitor status and the student can apply for a change in status to F-1.

5. Do students with F-1 visas have to be enrolled full time?

YES! All F-1 students are told that they have to be full time students as long as they are here. If a student drops below full time he or she will be considered 'out of F-1 status' and will have to apply to INS to be reinstated to F-1 status

6. Can a student on an F-1 visa work?

There are three employment options for F-1 students, all of which are contingent upon the student maintaining satisfactory progress toward the degree. On-campus employment: A student in F-1 status can work anywhere on campus without permission from Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) as long as it is not paid for through Federal Work Study funds.

Off-campus employment based on unforeseen, severe economic hardship: Students in F-1 status can work off campus if they are experiencing unforeseen, severe economic hardship. This type of employment requires special permission from INS.

Optional practical training: A student in F-1 status may be able to work off campus if the employment is related to his or her major. This type of employment requires special permission from INS.

7. Can a student in F-1 status get Financial Aid?

No. F-1 students show proper documentation that they have the financial support to pay their tuition and do not qualify for financial aid.

8. Do F-1 students pay in-state or out-of-state tuition and fees?

F-1 students pay out-of-state tuition and fees for as long as they have F-1 status.

9. Can a person who is here as a visitor (not on a student visa) attend the College?

Yes, but only as a part-time, non-matriculating student. If they wish to pursue a degree, it is necessary that they change to F-1 status.

10. Who can I contact for more information regarding International Students?

Contact Admissions for more information.