STCC offers an on-campus instructor-led Online Learning Orientation at the beginning of each semester. Attending one of the orientation sessions is optional, but highly recommended for students new to taking online courses or using the Blackboard Learning System. Sessions are approximately 1.5 hours in length.
If you have any questions about the orientation program, please contact the STCC Online Learning Office at (413) 755-4345 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The orientation is designed to introduce students to online course format, including relevant institutional policies, instructional methods, and academic support resources. Particular emphasis will be placed on accessing and using Blackboard Learn, the primary online course delivery system used at STCC.
Please note: course-specific software, such as MyLab and SAM, and are not covered in detail during the Online Learning Orientation. If you are a student and have questions about these topics, please contact your instructor.
After completing the orientation, participants will be able to:
- identify the three types of online courses offered at STCC
- obtain information about course textbooks and software requirements
- estimate the time commitment and weekly participation requirements of an online course
- seek out appropriate academic and technical support resources
- log in to the STCC Blackboard system and resolve account access problems
- access and navigate a typical Blackboard course website
- locate and retrieve the syllabus and other course documents
- turn in work using Blackboard's file submission Assignment tool
- complete a timed assessment using Blackboard's Test/Quiz tool
- communicate with instructors and classmates using the course Discussion Board
- check grades and review assessment results using the Blackboard My Grades tool
Spring 2014 Orientation Schedule
|Wednesday, January 15||10:00am||Building 27, Room 129|
|Wednesday, January 15||5:30pm||Building 2, Room 411|
|Thursday, January 16||1:00pm||Building 27, Room 129|
|Thursday, January 16||5:30pm||Building 2, Room 411|
|Friday, January 17||10:00am||Building 27, Room 129|
|Wednesday, January 22||1:00pm||Building 27, Room 129|
|Wednesday, January 22||5:30pm||Building 2, Room 411|
|Thursday, January 23||2:00pm||Building 27, Room 129|
|Friday, January 24||1:00pm||Building 27, Room 129|
|Saturday, January 25||10:00am||Building 27, Room 129|
The Online Learning Orientation is optional, and each session will cover the same material. Attending one of the orientation sessions is highly recommended for students new to taking online courses or using the Blackboard Learning System.
Other Important Dates
- Semester begins: Tuesday, January 21
- Access to Blackboard courses: Friday, January 17 (11:00am)
Director, Online Learning Office
P: (413) 755-4345