Blackboard Learn 9.1.11 System Requirements
Hardware Minimum Requirements
- 1.5 GHz CPU or greater with minimum of 1GB RAM
- Network adapter: LAN (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi)
- DSL or cable broadband Internet (Dial up is supported but not recommended)
- 3G & 4G connections not recommended when taking tests
- CD/DVD drive and speakers may be required; refer to course requirements
Operating Systems & Plugins
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8
- Windows XP 64-bit is not supported.
- MAC OSX 10.6 or later
- JAVA Runtime Environment 7 (Optional)
- JRE is only required in order to use certain Blackboard
- Learn collaboration tools virtual classroom and chat
- Multiple-file uploads
- Math equation editor
- Sun JRE 7 can be downloaded from the Oracle Website
- JRE 6 may work for some, but not all Blackboard Learn features.
- JRE is only required in order to use certain Blackboard features.
To determine which web browser to use with the Blackboard Learn System, find your operating system in the left column and choose a web browser. When possible choose a recommended browser which Blackboard has certified compatibility. In addition, you should have at least two approved browsers installed on your computer to accommodate for ongoing browser version changes.
- Certified: Fully supported technology with highest level of testing before release.
- Compatible: Fully supported technology with minimal level of testing before release.
- Unsupported: Unsupported technology because it is either impossible or not tested.
- Provisional: (Client Technologies ONLY) future technologies considered supported by Blackboard Support.
|Internet Explorer 10||Internet Explorer 9||Internet Explorer 8||Firefox ESR||Firefox (Final Release Channel)||Chrome (Stable Channel)|
|Windows XP (32-bit)||Unsupported by Microsoft||Unsupported by Microsoft||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Compatible|
|Windows Vista (32-bit)||Unsupported by Microsoft||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Certified||Compatible|
|Windows Vista (64-bit)||Unsupported by Microsoft||Compatible||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Compatible|
|Windows 7 (32-bit)||Provisional||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Certified||Certified|
|Windows 7 (64-bit)||Provisional||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Certified||Certified|
|Windows 8 (32-bit)||Compatible||Unsupported by Microsoft||Unsupported by Microsoft||Certified||Certified||Certified|
|Windows 8 (64-bit)||Certified||Unsupported by Microsoft||Unsupported by Microsoft||Certified||Certified||Certified|
Apple MAC OS
|Safari 6.0.1||Safari 5.1||Safari 5.0||Safari 4.0||Firefox ESR||Firefox (Final Release Channel)||Chrome (Stable Channel)|
|Mac OSX 10.6||Unsupported by Apple||Certified||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Certified||Certified|
|Mac OSX 10.7||Certified (10.7.5)||Certified||
Unsupported by Apple
|Mac OSX 10.8||Certified (10.8.2)||Certified||Unsupported by Apple||Unsupported||Certified||Certified||Certified|
- Mobile browsers, such as the Safari browser for iPad, are not officially compatible with Blackboard.
- A Blackboard Mobile Learn application is available for purchase as a companion tool to the Blackboard Learn course environment.
- The app is only designed for viewing course content and performing light communications tasks.
- Not all Blackboard course content will be compatible with the Blackboard Mobile Learn app.
- Participation in Blackboard courses requires access to a fully supported laptop or desktop computer.
Technologies not supported:
The following technologies are not supported in SP 11:
- Internet Explorer 6, 7
- Firefox 1.x, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 3.6
- Safari 2.0, 3.x and any version on Windows
- Windows XP 64-bit
- Mac OSX 10.3, 10.4, 10.5
- Java 5, although it may continue to work