Financial Information & Policies

Tuition and Fees Information

Refund Schedule

Tuition Waiver

The following criteria apply to students who may be eligible for a waiver of tuition based on their status as a veteran or senior citizen:

  • Students must provide all required documentation at time of registration.
  • All registrations must be made in person.
  • All fees are the responsibility of the student and must be paid at the time of registration.
  • Tuition waiver for veterans applies only to credit courses.
  • A veterans' representative is available in the Bursar's Office in Bldg. 15 Monday to Thursday 8:00 to 4:00, and during extended registration hours by appointment.  The office phone number is 755-4393.

Tuition Remission

The following criteria apply to students who are eligible for a 50% tuition remission based on their status as an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

  • Students must provide all documentation at time of registration.
  • All registrations must be made in person.
  • Remaining 50% of tuition and all fees are the responsibility of the student and are payable at time of registration.

For further information or clarification, contact your Human Resources office.

Course Cancellations

The evening classes which do not have 17 registered students may be cancelled. If the College cancels a course, all tuition payments and fees pertaining to the cancelled course will be refunded.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid is available if you need assistance with paying for your college education. You will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA.) Applications are available in the STCC Financial Aid Office on the second floor of Garvey Hall, or you can complete the application electronically at  You must include the STCC Federal School Code #005549. When the STCC Financial Aid Office receives an electronic copy of the processed Student Aid Report (SAR), you will be contacted.

In order to be eligible for financial aid, you must:

  • demonstrate financial need
  • have a high school diploma or GED
  • be enrolled in a degree-granting or eligible certificate program
  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward your degree
  • certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan or owe money on a federal grant
  • register with Selective Service if required.

In awarding financial aid, the Financial Aid Office will consider direct and indirect educational costs such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, transportation, meals on campus, and other miscellaneous expenses. We look at the total cost of education, the Effective Family Contribution (EFC on the SAR), and try to award you enough aid to assist you with those expenses. Financial aid is based on your ability to pay for your education as well as the availability of funds at the college.

If you are eligible, you will receive a Financial Aid Award letter indicating the type and amount of aid offered. These awards are based on full-time enrollment (12 or more credits.) Your enrollment status will be determined after class lists are processed, and the awards will be adjusted accordingly. If you withdraw from the college or unofficially stop attending all your classes, you may not be eligible for all of the aid awarded. The law now specifies that the school determines how much aid you are entitled to receive, up to the point of withdrawal. If you received more aid than you earned, the excess funds must be returned to the appropriate agencies, and may result in an outstanding tuition bill. The college is required to monitor attendance.

For additional information, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 413-755-4214. We are located in Garvey Hall, room 277.

Mandatory Health Insurance

All students carrying nine credits or more in the Day and/or Continuing Education divisions are required to participate in the student health insurance program or in a health insurance program with comparable coverage. If a student has comparable coverage and wishes to waive participation in the Massachusetts community college insurance plan, the student must furnish the College with a written waiver showing comparable coverage, on a form provided by the College.

Dependent coverage, or coverage for students who enroll for less than nine credits: A student who elects to cover a spouse or children, or a student who is enrolled for less than nine credits, must submit the application card with a check for the appropriate amount, payable to Boston Mutual, directly to the insurance agency as indicated on the application card. A student must be insured under the plan in order to purchase coverage for dependents.