STCC Student Accounts Office - Frequently Asked Questions

What is a service fee?

A service fee is a charge that is assessed for the ability and ease of using particular payment method.

Why am I being charged a service fee?

In order to keep costs as low as possible and continue to offer credit card payments as an option to students, STCC is charging a convenience fee.

What is the cost to attend Springfield Technical Community College?

Please see our Tuition & Fees Information page. Students may be eligible for Federal Aid, State Grants, scholarships, and loans. For further information please contact our Financial Aid Office at or (413) 755-4214.

Will STCC send me a bill?

The Student Accounts Office has transitioned to a paperless billing system.  Paper invoices are not mailed.  All students are expected to view their bill online via WebAdvisor.  An email will be sent to student's STCC e-mail accounts on a regular basis, as a reminder to view their bill on WebAdvisor. Go to Billing Information for more information.

Are students billed by semester?

Yes, students are billed by semester, i.e. fall, spring, and summer.  Payment due dates can be found on the Payment Deadlines page.

Does Springfield Technical Community College offer a monthly payment plan?

A monthly payment plan is available for the fall, spring and summer semesters; please refer to the Payment Options section for additional information.

Where and how can I pay my bill and what methods of payment do you accept?

Detailed information about bill payment can be found on the Payment Options page.

What age must one be to be considered a senior citizen? What discount would one receive?

There is no charge for tuition and fees for a Massachusetts resident over the age of 60 for attending STCC, during traditional Fall or Spring semesters (credit bearing classes);WEEKDAY CLASSES ONLY, provided the College is not over-enrolled.  Tuition only will be exempt if the credit bearing classes attended are through Continuing Education (evening, weekend, online or summer).  Students wishing to take advantage of these exemptions will be required to provide documentation (such as a driver's license) showing proof of age and residence in Massachusetts prior to the start of each semester.  In addition, the tuition/fee waiver program applies only to seniors enrolled in a degree granting program.  The student must also be making satisfactory academic progress and is not in default of any student loans.  The tuition/fee waiver program does not apply to non-credit courses.  A senior citizen wishing to audit day classes and have the tuition and fees waived, may only request to audit two courses per semester.

If I moved whom should I notify of my address change?

You need to notify the Registrar's Office in writing, via email at or in person.

What is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?

In accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (Section 438 of the General Education Provision Act, 20 USC 1232G), commonly referred to as the "Buckley Amendment," Springfield Technical Community College has adopted the regulations below to protect the privacy rights of its students. Revisions and clarifications will be published as experience with the law and the institution's policy warrants.

A student's bill can only be discussed with students only. Parents are welcome to come to Springfield Technical Community College with their son/daughter to discuss his/her bill.

Students may also fill out a Release of Information form with the Registrar s Office. This will give the student the option to allow STCC to speak with anyone the student authorizes. For further information, Please contact the Registrar s Office at of (413) 755-4321.

I received my bill but my company will be paying for my educational expenses. What do I need to do?

You need to bring in a letter from your employer with the following information on it: Student's name, semester company will be paying for, specific dollar amount the company is paying for, and company contact information. Letters must be on company letterhead and not include any restrictions, i.e. that the company will only pay if the student receives a C or better.

I applied for Financial Aid, but have not been awarded. What do I need to do?

If you have not received a Financial Aid Award letter, you need to contact the Financial Aid Office at, (413) 755-4214 or you may go in person to inquire about your financial aid package.

I have withdrawn from/dropped classes. What refund do I qualify for?

Information regarding refunds can be found on our Refund Policy page.

I paid for my classes in full but withdrew in time to receive a full/partial refund. When will I be refunded?

Refunds will be mailed each semester approximately 6 weeks after the first day of classes.

What is a Bookstore Voucher?

A bookstore voucher is your total adjusted financial aid minus your bill (based on your schedule the day of issue). These funds are uploaded on your RamCard to purchase books and supplies at the STCC Bookstore. The Financial Aid Office will mail and email you a voucher notification before the start of each semester if you are:

  •  Awarded financial aid
  •  Enrolled for at least 6 credits
  • Have at least fifty $50.00 remaining after subtracting your adjusted financial aid from your tuition and fees
  •  Accepting all financial aid offered to you (student loans)

Please Note:

  •  Failure to waive the health insurance fee (if eligible) may prevent you from receiving a book voucher.
  •  Changes made to your schedule after a book voucher is issued may affect the amount, causing an outstanding balance to STCC.
  • You can prepay for books not in stock with your voucher.
  • Vouchers expire approximately two weeks after the semester begins. You cannot charge at the Bookstore after this date.
  • All Bookstore charges are added to your tuition and fees and will be deducted from your financial aid award when disbursements are processed, approximately thirty days after the semester begins.

I don't need the student health insurance being offered. What should I do?

If a student has comparable coverage and wishes to waive participation in the Massachusetts Community College insurance plan, the student must complete a waiver form showing comparable coverage.  Please note that coverage from carriers outside of the United States is not considered comparable coverage.  For further information on the student health insurance you can go to web page

If you wish to waive your health insurance charge please:

  1.  Log onto WebAdvisor
  2.  Click on the STUDENTS tab
  4.  Create an account with Gallagher Student
  5.  Complete the Waiver Form (See waiver form to determine eligibility)

For waiver details and deadlines go to Health Insurance Requirements.

What is the American Opportunity Credit & the Lifetime Learning tax credit?

Under the Federal Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, taxpayers may be able to take advantage of the American Opportunity Credit and/or the Lifetime Learning Credit on their Federal Income tax return. The program has been designed by Congress to offer tax credits for qualified tuition and fee payments. Additional information can be found on or by calling 1-800-4FED-AID. The IRS also provides information in IRS Publication 970 - Tax Benefits for Education and on the IRS information telephone line 1-800-829-1040.

Springfield Technical Community College is required by law to furnish every student, with billable credits, with a 1098T form by January 31 of each year.

Please note - Springfield Technical Community College cannot advise you on any tax matters. You will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service or your tax consultant.

I have not received my 1098T form and need a copy. How can I get one?

You can view and print a copy of your 1098T on WebAdvisor.  Log into your Web Advisor account and choose the 1098T option located under the Financial Information Section.

I tried to register for classes but I have a Student Accounts Office hold on my account. What should I do?

You need to contact the Student Accounts Office at 413-755-4696 or so we can review your account with you.

What will happen if I still have an outstanding balance at the end of the semester?

A hold will be placed on your account. No grades, transcripts, recommendations, degrees or other services will be provided to you with an outstanding obligation. Failure to pay will result in your account being turned over to an approved collection company and the Commonwealth Intercept Program, and you will be responsible for all collection costs and other fees incurred in the collection of the debt.

What do I need to bring to the V.A. office at STCC to start my benefits?

  • National Guard: In order to receive your benefits please bring your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), your Kicker Contract, if applicable, and your Tagma to receive your tuition and fee waiver.
  • Reserves: In order to receive your benefits please bring your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), your Kicker Contract, if applicable, along with the Member 4 copy of your DD214.
  • Chapter 1606,1607,30 and 33 apply for your GI Bill at Please bring the Certificate of Eligibility from the VA or a copy of the VONAPP if you are using the GI Bill for the first time, along with the Member 4 copy of your DD214 (Discharge must be under honorable conditions) in order to receive benefits.
  • Dependents of 100% disabled veterans should apply for Chapter 35 benefits at Please bring the Certificate of Eligibility from the VA or a copy of the VONAPP if using the GI Bill for the first time. Please have the veterans file or claim number.