STCC Student Accounts Office - Health Insurance Requirements
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, effective September 1, 1989, requires each student carrying nine (9) credits or more to participate in the student health insurance program.
If a student has comparable coverage and wishes to waive participation in the Massachusetts Community College insurance plan, the student must complete a waiver form showing comparable coverage. The following health insurance cannot be used to waive the STCC health insurance: MassHealth Limited, the Health Safety Net and the Children's Medical Security Plan. Please review the following important information regarding waiving your health insurance: Important Health Insurance Waiver Information (PDF). For further information on the student health insurance you can go to web page: https://www.mahealthconnector.org/help-center.
If you wish to waive your health insurance charge please:
- Log onto WebAdvisor
- Click on the STUDENTS tab
- Under FINANCIAL INFORMATION, click on HEALTH INSURANCE WAIVER
- Create an account with Gallagher Student
- Complete the Waiver Form (See waiver form to determine eligibility)
The health insurance provider for the 2016/2017 academic year is Blue Cross Blue Shield, serviced through Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk.
- The last day to waive the student health insurance for a semester is the payment due date of your tuition bill for that semester.
- A student's bill must be paid in full before the College can forward a student's name and payment to the insurance company for coverage. Please note that all payments to the payment plan must be made and/or financial aid must be applied to the student's bill, resulting in a zero balance, before the appropriate information is forwarded to the insurance company.
The cost of the Fall 2016 policy effective September 1, 2016 through August 31, 2017 is $1,629. There is no requirement to purchase student health insurance for the summer session. The cost of the Spring 2017 policy effective January 1, 2017 through August 31, 2017, is $1,088. The insurance company will not process any claims until the student's bill is paid in full.
Health Insurance Documents:
- 2016-2017 Benefit and Deductible Information
- 2016-2017 STCC Health Insurance Info
- Instructions to Waive Health Insurance
- Frequently Asked Questions
Health Insurance Authorization Form
The STCC Student Accounts Office is required to obtain written authorization to apply Federal Financial Aid to the student health insurance charge. If you are relying on Financial Aid to pay your bill you must complete an Authorization Form so that we may apply financial aid to this charge. Students who have not already completed the form for the current academic year should complete the below form, print it, and bring it to the Student Accounts Office.