Sustainability at STCC - Green Buildings
Establish a policy that all new campus construction will be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Silver standard or equivalent.
Springfield Technical Community College is obligated by Executive Order No. 484 to meet the Massachusetts LEED Plus green building standard. These standards, initiated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Sustainable Design Roundtable, include the following:
- Certification by the U.S. Green Building Council Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program for all new construction and major renovation projects over 20,000 square feet;
- Energy Performance 20% better than the Massachusetts Energy Code;
- Independent 3rd party commissioning;
- Reduction of outdoor water consumption by 50% and indoor water consumption by 20% relative to standard baseline projections; and
- Conformance with at least 1 of 4 identified smart growth criteria.