STCC Campus Map and Virtual Tour - Building 1

Building 1

The Commanding Officer's Quarters is located on federal property and now houses administrative offices for the Springfield Armory National Historic Site. Constructed in 1845-47 under Major Ripley, this is actually the second commanding officer's quarters. The first building, south of this location, was inspected in 1843 and found to need complete reconstruction. Major Ripley had it torn down and constructed the new building in Greek Revival style. Around 1870 the Doric portico and porches were replaced with more delicate cast iron.