The Springfield Armory Museum -- Main Arsenal
Forming the west side of the quadrangle is the Armory Museum, formerly the Main Arsenal, under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. Construction of this building in 1846-50 was partially copied from the design of the East India House in London. An engraving of the building was chosen for the upper portion of the seal of Springfield when it became a city in 1852. Col. James Benton, commanding officer 1861-1881, organized the small arms collection that now forms the core of the Armory Museum. The collection grew over the years with the addition of wartime trophies and experimental pieces. A 1974 Act of Congress established Springfield Armory as a National Historic Site, and in 1978 the National Park Service assumed operation of the museum.