High School Equivalency Assessment (HiSET)
Adults who are 18 years old and older may take the high school equivalency test if they have not previously received a high school diploma. Sixteen- and seventeen-year-olds may take the test only if they are no longer enrolled in school.
Massachusetts has transitioned to the High School Equivalency Assessment (HiSET). For a transitional period of time the Paper and Pencil exam will still be offered at STCC.
Computer Based Testing (CBT)
STCC Authorized Testing Center
Building 2, Room 304
Phone (413) 755-4507
Paper and Pencil Exam (PBT)
STCC Assessment Center
Building 17, Room 425
Phone (413) 755-4709
HiSET Test Taker Bulletin - Will answers most of your questions about taking the exams
Massachusetts HiSET® Requirements - Massachusetts Policies that apply to anyone taking the HiSET® exam in the state.
My HiSET® Account - Create or sign in to your Account
Scheduling your HiSET® Exam - Schedule your Exams for either Paper & Pencil or Computer Based Testing (CBT)
Verification of your High School Equivalency Credential
based on the GED® testing from the 1970's to 2013:
To obtain verification that you did receive a Massachusetts high school equivalency credential based on your passing score on the GED®, you must sign up at Diploma Sender and follow the steps for having documents sent to you or whomever else you designate. There is a $15 fee for each original and valid document that Diploma Sender will provide for you.
HiSET Exam Preparation
Workforce Development - Non-Credit Seminars
(Replaces G.E.D.) Preparation: Mathematics and Science (17.5 hours)
July 7 - August 18, Tuesdays, 6:30pm - 9:00pm
(Replaces G.E.D.) Preparation: Language Arts: Reading & Writing and Social Studies (17.5 hours)
July 8 - August 19, Wednesdays, 6:30pm - 9:00pm
STCC Adult Learning Center
STCC offers free classes for adults for the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) preparation (previously known as the GED test), English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and MCAS preparation. These classes take place in four locations both on and off campus during the daytime and evening hours. For more information about these program please visit our website: STCC Adult Learning Center.
The Springfield Adult Learning Center provides a range of classes and services including;:
- Preparation for the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET)
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- The Transitions to College Program
- Computer Literacy classes
- Specialized software for computer- based instruction
- Career Exploration
- Workforce Readiness Skills
- MCAS Remediation Program
HiSET® Exam Preparation Materials from ETS Website
Prepare for the HiSET® Exam: Overview - Material on the ETS HiSET Website
You can use the documents below to learn more about the HiSET® exam, get information about the scheduling process and prepare for the exam. Many are available in both English and Spanish.
HiSET Fees and Payment
- How much does it cost to take the HiSET exam in Massachusetts?
There are two ways you can register and pay for the HiSET exam in Massachusetts.
Option 1: Full Battery Purchase (all five tests)
Initial Battery Purchase Description Fee
Initial Battery Purchase:
- You are charged $64 when you schedule your first test; remaining $36 will be charged when you schedule the four remaining tests at $9 per test.
- You are encouraged to schedule all five tests at the time of registration; however, you have the option to schedule from one to five tests at one time.
- Up to two retests in each subtest
- Must be taken within one year of your initial registration
$9 per test
Option 2*: Individual Test Purchase (one test at a time)
Individual Test Purchase Description Fee First Single Test Initial Purchase $29 Each Subsequent Test including any retests $24
* Under Option 2, a total cost for all five tests (not including any retests) is $125.
Note: The full battery purchase fee option expires one year from the date of registration. If you have not passed the HiSET exam by that time, you must select another payment option for the subsequent tests.
- How do I pay for the HiSET exam if I am scheduling through my online account?
If you are scheduling online, you may pay by:
- Debit card or credit card (American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, VISA® and JCB®)
- I only have cash. How can I pay for my HiSET exam?
You must pay for the exam at the time you schedule it online or by phone, so you aren't able to pay with cash. However, if you only have cash, you may use it in one of the following ways:
- purchase a GreenDot® MoneyPak prepaid card and fund a PayPal account
- purchase a prepaid PayPal My Cash Card and fund a PayPal account
- purchase a VISA, MasterCard or American Express gift card
- open a free checking account and pay with an electronic check (eCheck)
If you are purchasing a prepaid credit card or gift card, be sure to check the cards before you purchase them for any restrictions that might prevent you from using them in our registration system, such as restrictions against using the card for online purchases. To learn more about how you can use one of these payment methods, download the Cash Options for HiSET Test Takers flyer (PDF).
- How do I pay for the HiSET exam if I am scheduling my appointment by phone?
If you are scheduling by phone, you may pay by debit card or credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, VISA and JCB).
You can't use a PayPal account to pay over the phone.
- If I purchased the battery, can I get a refund if I cancel my scheduled appointment?
If you cancel your scheduled appointment and do not want to reschedule, you must do so at least three days prior to your scheduled appointment. The refund policy for the battery is as follows:
- If you have taken no subtests, you are eligible for a partial refund of $25 if you cancel 72 hours prior to your appointment.
- If you have taken one or more subtests from the battery or if you don't cancel in advance and don't show up for your scheduled appointment on testing day, you will not be eligible for a refund.
- If I purchased an individual subtest, can I get a refund if I cancel my scheduled test appointment?
If you bought a single subtest or subtests rather than a battery, the refund policy is as follows:
- You are eligible for a $7.50 refund if you cancel at any time up to 72 hours prior to your appointment.
- If you don't cancel in advance and don't show up for your scheduled appointment on testing day, you will not be eligible for a refund.
- What if something unexpected happens on test day, I don't cancel and I cannot make my scheduled appointment? Can I get a refund?
Cases are handled and evaluated for refund eligibility on a case-by-case basis for events beyond the control of all parties.