Introduction to Local Area Networks
WITS-051 - Introduction to Local Area Networks (8 hours)
For more Information, please contact:
Workforce Development Center
- Phone 413-755-4225
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
|Section||Date & Time|
Monday and Wednesday, 5 p.m. - 9 p.m.
This course is designed for students who have limited exposure to Network technology, such as:
- Students thinking about starting an IT career
- Business professionals who need/want to have a basic understanding of what his/her IT staff is talking about.
Students will explore networking fundamentals; to demystify how network transmissions travel from one PC to another over a network, or from one network to another network. We will explore how Hubs, Switches, and Routers work in relationship to the OSI model. In exploring this technology and the OSI model we will gain a basic understanding of Collision Domains, Broadcast Domains, VLANs, and Firewalls. The course will concentrate on current industry technology such as Ethernet & Wireless Networks and Telephony.
This introductory seminar will use a combination of lectures and tours to examine the physical and logical layout, as well as the benefits of computer networks. Students will also install a wireless network in the computer lab and then learn how to secure it using encryption.
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online:
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘Network’ and hit 'Submit"
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 413-755-4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person:
Go to STCC Building 27, 1st Floor to register for the course or call 413-755-4225
Withdraw prior to the start of class* - 100% Refund
No Refunds will be given once class begins
* Please note that special refund policies apply to some courses. The cost of non-returnable items will not be refunded.
In the absence of a written third party contractual agreement stating otherwise, all refunds will be issued to the student. Credit card payments will be refunded directly to the credit card if processed within thirty days of the payment.
Course Cancellation Policy
The Workforce Training office reserves the right to cancel any course that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements.