Intro to Drones: Public Safety Bundle
WTEC-015 Intro to Drones: Public Safety Bundle (24 hours)
Fee: $1485 (Class materials are included)
Save $150 by bundling all 3 courses
|Section||Date & Time|
Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
October 19, 2019 – November 2, 2019
Springfield Technical Community College and SKYOP have partnered to deliver courses on Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems sUAS (drones).
Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems sUAS (drones) are a dynamic, emerging technology that will literally transform industries and have an economic impact of $100 billion by 2020. These 3 (8) hour courses, when taken together, will provide comprehensive, hands-on training that gives you all the vital skills and information you need to start piloting drones safely and legally. In addition to teaching safety best practices and piloting skills, we cover the types of flight systems available, their capabilities, and which one would be best for your use; we discuss how drones can be used in business and industry applications, and how to apply drone technology to bring efficiencies to business; and we review drone photography and videography skills. These courses are also designed to prepare operators to successfully pass the remote pilot knowledge test and achieve FAA remote pilot certification.
Additionally, students will gain an understanding of much of the ground-school information covered in the FAA’s knowledge test including regulations; airspace classification, interpretation of sectional navigation charts, operating requirements, and flight restrictions; aviation weather sources and effects; small unmanned aircraft loading and performance; emergency procedures; aeronautical decision-making and crew resource management; radio communication procedures; physiological effects of drugs and alcohol; airport operations; and maintenance and preflight inspection procedures.
Our unique indoor flight training methodology uses model quadcopters (currently the Syma X5C without FPV) flying indoors without wind/weather through obstacle courses. This approach develops three primary skill proficiencies:
- Dealing with flight system orientation
- Depth perception
- Flying without dependency on GPS
We’ve found these are the essential skills needed to create the safest, most proficient remote pilots anywhere! Also, we’ve shown time and again that these basic skills are easily transferred into more advanced drone flight systems. This practice creates much safer, more capable pilots who can easily fly without GPS when necessary (lost GPS signal is a key factor in many drone crashes).
Courses may be taken separately or bundled to save money. Click the links below for the course’s full description!
WTEC-012 - Intro to Drones for Public Safety – October 19, 2019
- Multi-rotor and fixed-wing drone flight systems
- Maintenance, registration, certification requirements,
- Safety, insurance, public safety case-studies,
- Featured systems (DJI, Yuneec, etc.), emerging technologies, and the COA application process
WTEC-013 - Hands on Flight Training – October 26, 2019
- Syma X5C Quadcopter
- Six Syma XRC Replacement Batteries
- FlySky FS-165 Controller
- 4 Pack AA Batteries
- SkyOp Top Gun Baseball Hat ( 1 Per Class)
- Training Certificate of Completion
WTEC-104 - Part 107 Test Prep – November 2, 2019
- Sectional Chart
- FAA Test Supplement
SkyOps Certified Instructor
To Enroll Online:
- Click: Online Registration
- Click: ‘Search and Register for Workforce Development Classes’
- Type in ‘Drones’ and hit 'Submit"
- Click: ‘select’ box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you and it will include the Building and Classroom for the course.
To Enroll in Person:
STCC Campus, One Armory Square, Springfield MA Building 27, Room 143
Withdraw prior to the start of class* - 100% Refund
No Refunds will be given once class begins
* Please note that special refund policies apply to some courses. The cost of non-returnable items will not be refunded.
In the absence of a written third party contractual agreement stating otherwise, all refunds will be issued to the student. Credit card payments will be refunded directly to the credit card if processed within thirty days of the payment.
Course Cancellation Policy
The Workforce Training office reserves the right to cancel any course that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements.