Professional Brewing Certificate Program
WTRD-002 Professional Brewing Certificate - Hybrid Program (123 hours)
Total Certificate Time: 108 Hours plus 15 hours of conducted brewery tours. The course is a blend of online work, hands-on lab work at STCC, and conducted brewery tours.
For more Information, please contact:
Workforce Development Office
Building 27, 1st Floor
- Phone: 413-755-4225
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Section||Date & Time|
|H41||Program Starts April 13, 2019
On-line modules will take about 3 hours each week
April 13, 2019 - June 22, 2019
On campus lectures listed in PDF:
Week 3 - April 27, 2019
The focus of the course is the science and technology of becoming a professional brewer.
The publisher’s resource provides support material for each chapter including quizzes, videos, animations, case studies, virtual tours, interactive exercises, web links, and study aids. Computer time is added to each lesson. In addition to class /lab time, each student will complete a minimum of 20 hours online.
Students must be at least 21 years of age at the start of the course and will have earned a High School Diploma or equivalence.
- Yeast - ISBN-13:978-0-937381-96-0
- Water - ISBN: 978-0-937381-99-1
- For the Love of Hops - ISBN: 978-1-938469-01-5
- Malt - ISBN: 978-1-938469-12-1
- Beer - ISBN: 978-0-19-530542-5
Books may be purchased on Amazon or other book vendors.
Professional Brewing Certificate is the first step in pursuing a career in brewing. This training will involve the brewing process as well as quality control and the science behind the process. Students will be able to set up a brewing quality control program and be able to brew beer. Although the beer will be brewed in small quantities (less than 10 Barrel Brew System), the principals covered will be universal so that the student may apply them for any size system.
Michael is the owner of DIY Brewing Supply in Ludlow, will teach the course again. Bernier has owned the homebrew shop for the past ten years and has been brewing for over 14 years. In addition, he has over 17 years of chemical, microbiological, large-scale fermentation laboratory experience and has performed lab work, recipe formulation and equipment troubleshooting for breweries for several years.
This is a hybrid-training program, which takes place online and in-person, requiring practical lab exercises and certification examination at STCC, and 2 conducted brewery tours. On-line modules will take about 3 hours each week to complete all assignments, and may include a brief review of the module description and learning objectives followed by instructor facilitated PowerPoint, audio lectures, videos, discussion board assignments, assigned readings, hands-on exercises, and quizzes.
The hands-on practical exercises will consist of 2 full-day Saturday Brewery Tours (1 at the beginning and 1 at the end), 2 Saturday Brewing Lab Practicums at STCC, 1 Saturday Lab Practices Class at STCC, and a Saturday Brewer Certification Exam at STCC.
Each week there is a homework question or questions based on the topic covered in class. Answers to the problem sets will be in Discussion Board post form and will require around one page of writing to answer completely.
To successfully earn certification, students must complete all 15 modules, attend two entire days of conducted Brewery Tours, participate in on-campus classes and pass the Final Exam.
Upon successfully earning a 73% or higher, students can then be formally recognized with their Brewer Professional Certificate.
Program Learning Objectives
During the Professional Brewing Certificate Course, students will:
- Become familiar with the raw ingredients of beer and understand the molecular transformations that take place during Craft-Brewing.
- Gain a thorough comprehension of Craft-Brewing principals and methodologies through hands-on practical application of Craft-Brewing from raw ingredients to finished product.
- Experience firsthand exposure to techniques used by professional Brewers.
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online
- Go to: Online Registration
- Click: ‘Online Registration’ on the left side of the webpage.
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘Brewing’ and hit 'Submit"
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be emailed to you.
To Enroll in Person
Go to STCC: Workforce Development Office, Building 27, 1st Floor. For further information, please call 413-755-4225.