The Craft Beer Business
WTRD-018 The Craft Beer Business (5-week course)
February 10, 2020 – March 6, 2020
This course is a blend of online work, and hands-on lab work at STCC, and participating breweries. The focus of this course is the science and technology of becoming a professional craft brewer. This module discusses what it is like to start a brewery. We will start planning your brewery to include what size of a brewery you will need and how to write a business plan. We will then go over what makes a successful craft brewery, including ordering, social media, and modern marketing. The class will end with a discussion of state and federal laws that govern Craft Breweries.
- Writing a Business Plan
- Marketing and Social Media
- Running a Craft Beer Business
- Massachusetts and Federal Craft Beer Laws
Each week students must respond to a question, or questions, based on the topic covered in class. Answers to the problem sets will be in the Discussion Board post form and will require around one page of writing to answer completely. To successfully earn certification, students must complete all 5 modules, attend two entire days of conducted Brewery Tours, participate in on-campus classes and pass the Final Exam.
Upon successfully earning a 73% or higher, students can then be formally recognized with their Professional Craft Brewing Certificate.
Michael Bernier is the owner of DIY Brewing Supply in Ludlow, will teach the course again. Bernier has owned the homebrew shop for the past ten years and has been brewing for over 14 years. In addition, he has over 17 years of chemical, microbiological, large-scale fermentation laboratory experience and has performed lab work, recipe formulation and equipment troubleshooting for breweries for several years.
To Enroll Online:
- Click: Online Registration
- Click: ‘Search and Register for Workforce Development Classes’
- Type in ‘Brewing’ and hit 'Submit"
- Click: ‘select’ box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you and it will include the Building and Classroom for the course.
To Enroll in Person:
STCC Campus, One Armory Square, Springfield MA Building 27, Room 143
Withdraw prior to the start of class* - 100% Refund
No Refunds will be given once class begins
* Please note that special refund policies apply to some courses. The cost of non-returnable items will not be refunded.
In the absence of a written third party contractual agreement stating otherwise, all refunds will be issued to the student. Credit card payments will be refunded directly to the credit card if processed within thirty days of the payment.
Course Cancellation Policy
The Workforce Training office reserves the right to cancel any course that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements.