Medical Interpreting Certificate Program
ZALL-021 Medical Interpreting Certificate Program (Instructor-led) (60 hours)
$1,070 includes program manual and Laboratory fees
Saturday classes are 9:00am - 3:30pm.
Oct 14, 21, 28
Nov 4, 11, 18 (College Closed on 25th)
Dec 2, 9, 16 (College Closed on December 23rd to 30th)
Jan 6 for final class.
Jan 13 for weather make up
There is a critical need for trained medical interpreters! This 60-hour program provides working knowledge of medical interpreting, including standards of practice, ethics, HIPAA regulations, cultural competency, and medical terminology/vocabulary. Open to all languages, students must be bilingual and must be fluent in English and one other language. This program is designed for those preparing for entry-level careers as medical interpreters as well as for working interpreters preparing for the National Board Certificate exam. This program meets the National Board for Medical Interpreter Certification training requirement and prepares students for the certification exam.
For information on certification prerequisites visit: http://www.certifiedmedicalinterpreters.org/prerequisites. Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a certificate of completion from the college.
Students will also have the opportunity to perform role-plays via Skype with individual language coach/facilitators. Each student receives three role-play sessions as part of the course, but can opt to continue working with the language coach upon completion of the course. An experienced medical interpreter working in the field teaches this course.
*The lab fee includes three Skype role-play sessions with a language coach/facilitator.
This program will include:
- Overview of the profession and professional settings
- Sight translation
- Consecutive and simultaneous interpreting practice
- Note-taking techniques
- Readings in the field
- Exercises for building memory and concentration
- Discussion of practices, standards, and ethics
- Vocabulary in the medical and legal fields
- Advice on how to find (and keep) a job as an interpreter
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online:
- Click: On Line Registration
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘Medical Int’ and hit 'Submit"
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter in your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 755 4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person:
Go to STCC Building 16, Room 146 to register for the course or call 755 4225