Dental Radiology Certificate Program
ZDEN-609 Dental Radiology Certificate Program (18 hours)
Fee: $289 includes textbook
Call for Schedule
Check back for Fall Dates
For more Information, please call the Workforce Training Office (413) 755-4225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Students taking this course must meet the following requirements:
The dental auxiliary must be an on- the-job trained "OJT" Dental Assistant and must complete a course such as our "Dental Radiology Certificate Program for Dental Assistants" and take our exam or the DANB Radiation Health and Safety Exam.
This program teaches the essentials of Dental Radiology for dental auxiliaries related to fundamental theories and clinical procedures. Students will be engaged in a lab experience related to the identification of teeth, charting exercises, assembly of the Rinn instruments, and practice film placement on dexter manikins. Through lectures and additional lab work, participants will learn the principles of exposing, processing, mounting and evaluating dental radiographs in compliance with regulations of the Board of Registration in Dentistry. Through lab experiences, participants will gain practical, hands-on, knowledge of intraoral and extraoral technique.
To legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures in the state of Massachusetts, a dental assistant must:
Be an expanded function dental assistant "EFDA" or hold a current DANB certificate as a "CDA" or earn state recognition as a formally trained dental assistant and successfully complete a course with curriculum that complies with CODA standards with radiologic techniques and safeguards or be an on-the-job trained dental assistant "OJT" and complete a course in radiologic techniques and safeguards and pass the DANB Radiation Health and Safety "RHS" exam or our exam which is approved by the MA
Board of Registration in Dentistry.
Participants who successfully complete this program will be able to:
- Expose and evaluate dental radiographs
- Process dental radiographs
- Mount and label dental radiographs
- Demonstrate an understanding of radiation safety for the patient, operator, and staff
- Exposure and Evaluation of dental radiographs
- Selection of equipment for dental radiographic techniques
- Application of Infection Control protocol
- Patient management during dental radiographic techniques
- Dental radiographic exposure concepts
- Digital Radiography
- Evaluation of diagnostic radiographs
- Processing techniques for dental radiographs
- Mounting and labeling dental radiographs
- Radiation safety-patient
- Radiation safety-operator/other staff
Students will complete an exam as required by Board of Registration in Dentistry. Participants will also be required to expose, process, mount and evaluate their radiographs on mannequins during the dental radiology clinical session. Successful completion of this program will enable the dental assistant to be qualified to expose dental radiographs in the State of Massachusetts according to regulations of the Board of Registration in Dentistry. This course will also provide an excellent review for dental assistants planning to take the DANB examination and for hygienists interested in updating their radiology skills.
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online:
- Click: On Line Registration
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘Dental’ and hit 'Submit"
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter in your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 755 4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person:
Go to STCC Building 16, Room 146 to register for the course or call 413-755-4225
Information and Questions
For questions about course content, prerequisites and testing, contact:
- Roberta Abano C.D.A, R.D.H., M.Ed., Professor, Dental Radiology, Dental Assisting- email@example.com
- Carol Giaquinto, C.D.A., R.D.H, M.Ed., Professor, Dental Radiology, Dental Assisting- firstname.lastname@example.org
Roberta Albano, C.D.A, R.D.H., M.Ed.
Professor, Dental Radiology, Dental Assisting
Carol Giaquinto, C.D.A., R.D.H, M.Ed.
Professor, Dental Radiology, Dental Assisting
Roberta and Carol have each taught at the College for over 20 years and are co-authors of Dental Assisting Test Preparation, published by Prentice Hall.