Private Security Training Certificate
ZDEV-301 Private Security Training Certificate (36 hours)
Fee: $450 includes required materials.
Classes held Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Every business, faces issues related to security. Because of this, the security industry is multifaceted, constantly evolving, and always expanding. Career opportunities within the industry include:
- Entry-level security
- Asset Protection and Loss Prevention
- Fraud Protection
- Physical Security
- Corporate Security
- Workplace Security
- Information Technology Security
This non-credit, professional development course will provide students with a solid introduction and overview of the industry. It can serve as a gateway into employment or help advance the careers of people currently working in the security field. The curriculum was designed with the help of local employers that deal with security issues. They were consulted to determine exactly what employers wanted employees to know.
- Introduction and Role of Private Security and the Industry
- Difference Between Law Enforcement and Security
- Asset Protection and Loss Prevention
- Incident Response
- De-escalation, Self Defense, and Use of Force
- Customer Service
- Business Continuity & Crisis Management
- Patrol & Observation
- Report Writing
Norberto “Bert” Garcia, M.S. – has over 30 years in the law enforcement industry. He comes to STCC as an ex United States Marine Corp Platoon Sargent (E-5 in 1978). He went on to become a Springfield Police Officer and advanced into various positions within the Department. He moved on to become a robbery homicide detective and retired in 1982 after 30 years of service. He received his Master’s Degree from Western New England University with a concentration in Criminal Justice Administration, and went on to instruct criminal justice courses at a local college. He has also been a Constable for the Town of Palmer for over 20 years, and is a licensed Private Investigator in Massachusetts. Currently, he is the President and CEO of Professional Agency Security Services. He comes to us with field experience in both law enforcement, and security daily operations.
Tracy Hurlburt, M.S. – has over 14 years in the security industry. She comes to STCC as the Current Branch Manager of Securitas Security Services USA, Inc. She has professional affiliations with American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS), InfraGard National Members Alliance, Building Owners and Managers Association International (BOMA), and is an alumnus and member of the FBI New Haven Citizen’s Academy. She received her Master’s Degree from University of Saint Joseph in Management, and a Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security. She also comes to us with business and financial experience in the security industry, including security daily operations.
- Must be 18 years or older
- United States Citizen or Registered Alien
- Must possess a Valid Driver’s License
- Must be in good physical condition
- Must have good communication skills, verbally and written
- Please note: A High School Diploma or Equivalency, Drug Test, and Background Screening is NOT required to enroll in the class, but may be required for employment in the industry
To Enroll Online
- Click: On Line Registration
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘Security' and hit Submit
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter in your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 413-755-4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person
Go to STCC Building 16, Room 146 to register for the course or call 413-755-4225