Understanding Project Management
ZVEL-001 Understanding Project Management (12 hours)
"Understanding Project Management" In this course, you will learn the basic nuts and bolts of project management, from gaining approval on the scope, schedule and cost to planning and executing to a successful end result. By attending this four-session course, you’ll acquire a toolbox of skills and techniques for project initiation through project close out. Whether you are a project manager, plan to be one, or a team member, understanding project management will enhance your role.
What Students Will Learn
- Understand what is meant by a project.
- Recognize what steps must be taken to complete a project on time, on budget, and meeting needs.
- Know simple techniques and tools for planning, monitoring, and keeping project on track.
- Understand the vital roles in project team work.
Major Topics covered in Understanding Project Management include:
- What is a Project
- Project Management Basics
- Phases in a project life cycle
- The triple constraint of Time, Cost, and Scope
- The role of Project Sponsor, Project Manager, and Project Team
- Project Manager skills
- Project planning and the work breakdown structure
- Simple planning and budget tools for projects
- Project risks and contingency planning
- Tracking progress to the plan and reporting status
- Teamwork, communication, team meetings
- Project Closeout
Louise Corcoran, MBA
Louise has worked in leadership roles at John Hancock Financial and Sun Life Financial overseeing multi-million dollar company projects. Having used disciplined project management techniques, Louise brings real-world experience to this course. She has taught at STCC since 2011.
To Enroll Online
- Click: Online Registration
- Click onSearch and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘project' and hit Submit
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select theright course and dates.
- Enter in your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 413-755-4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person
Go to STCC Building 16, Room 146 to register for the course or call 413-755-4225