Gateway To College
Your Connection to College
Do you want to go to college, but aren't sure how to get there? The Gateway to College program helps students who have faced significant challenges and/or are behind, or may have dropped out of high school. Through our program, you can obtain your high school diploma and earn college credits at the same time. Many of our graduates go on to finish certificate programs, Associate's degrees and transfer to four year colleges.
The Right Fit
To qualify for the Gateway to College program:
- Students must be between 16 to 20 years old
- Students must be able to obtain their high school diploma by the age of 21 (Or age 22 with an IEP)
- Students must have faced significant challenges in a traditional high school setting and/or be behind in high school credits, or could have dropped out
- Students must be at an 8th grade reading level (minimum) and meet other writing and math standards at entry level
- Student must be a resident of Springfield or Agawam
The Support You Need
Gateway to College contracts with your school district to offer you a scholarship to the program. The scholarship covers the cost of tuition and books.
In addition, you'll have an Academic Counselor dedicated to your success. Your Academic Counselor will guide you through the college experience as an academic advisor; teach you about careers, organization and time management; and provide you with referrals to community resources.
Ready for the Challenge
To succeed in the program, you'll need to be in class about 20 hours a week and do three to four hours of homework per day. You are expected to attend every class. Because the program requires a strong commitment, it's best if you work fewer than 20 hours a week.
The program takes time - most of our students achieve their high school diploma in two to three years, but they often earn a lot of college credits too!
Gateway to College can help you change your life. Gateway to College is not a quick or an easy way to earn a high school diploma. We want students with an attitude - one in which failure is not an option.