All incoming students matriculating in degree, certificate, or certificate of completion programs will complete the entrance assessment before registering for classes. If the results reveal a need for a stronger foundation in vital academic skills, students will be directed to appropriate developmental courses and support services. Students whose reviews indicate a need to further develop skills in reading, writing, mathematics, or keyboard skills must complete appropriate developmental courses designated to prepare students to succeed in college-level programs. Completion of developmental coursework may extend the time required to complete a degree or certificate program.
Exemptions may apply to:
- Students with a 2.7 cumulative high school GPA who have graduated from high school within the past ten years to place directly into a college-level, credit-bearing English course
- Students with a 2.7 cumulative high school GPA who have graduated from high school within the past three years to place directly into a college-level, credit-bearing mathematics course.
- Students transferring equivalent college-level coursework into STCC from an accredited post-secondary institution; course transfer requires a grade of “C-” or better.
- Students who wish to transfer Accuplacer scores from another institution (scores must be two years old or less) should have them submitted to the Testing and Assessment Center in a sealed envelope.
- Students having mathematics, English writing, reading or keyboard skills examination scores on STCC Entrance Assessments which are two years old or less.
- Students who have completed coursework in English, reading, and mathematics at STCC, with a grade level of C- or better.
Students who feel that their placement assessment results do not accurately reflect their skill level in a particular area (reading writing, math and/or keyboarding) may request a retest. Students must wait at least five (5) calendar days before retesting, to allow ample time for students to prepare for the retest, and only one retest per subject area will be allowed. The College will consider a student’s highest placement result (whether the original result or the retest result) when determining the student’s placement level.
Preparing for your Assessments
Most students tell us that they wished they had been better prepared for their placement assessments. The following resources will help you prepare, so that the results of your assessments will accurately reflect your skill levels.
- More Information on STCC Entrance Assessment Exams
- FREE Web-Based Accuplacer Study App
- Accuplacer Writeplacer Sample Essays
- Next Generation Accuplacer Sample Questions - Arithmetic
- Next Generation Accuplacer Sample Questions - Quantitative Reasoning
- Next Generation Accuplacer Sample Questions - Advanced Alegbra and Functions
- Next Generation Accuplacer Sample Questions - Reading
- Next Generation Accuplacer Sample Questions - Writing