Congratulations to the graduating class of 2023! STCC is proud of your remarkable work and resilience in reaching this significant milestone.
Commencement will be held at the MassMutual Center on Thursday, June 1, 2023, at 6:30 p.m. Because it will take some time to get everyone in order and provide any last-minute instructions, please plan to arrive at Exhibition Hall no later than 5:00 p.m. Use the Main Street Entrance, these doors will open at 5:00 p.m. All guests must use the Box Office Entrance to the MassMutual Center on Bruce Landon Way. Those doors will open promptly at 5:30 p.m. Guests should proceed directly to the event. No guests will be allowed to enter the building prior to 5:30 p.m. Only Graduates are allowed to enter early through the Main Street Entrance on the corner of Main Street and Bruce Landon Way.
It is the Scholarships and Awards Committee’s pleasure to invite members of the class of 2023 to audition to be the student graduation speaker at the STCC Commencement. Please understand that although we all look forward to hearing your speech at the audition, we are requiring a sample writing assignment to be submitted by May 10, 2023. The in-person auditions will be on Thursday, May 18, 2023.
Your remarks should be approximately three to four minutes in length. Before you begin to address the audience, it is customary to acknowledge the stage party, the faculty, staff, relatives, friends, and the graduating class of 2023. The content of the speech is, of course, up to you to decide on; however, please consider that you are speaking to a very diverse audience. Therefore, remarks that are more generic and motivational rather than personal are more effective. Highlighting how your experience at STCC has served you to make a closer link to your future goals would be an appropriate personal connection in the speech.
Victor Woolridge, a lifelong Springfield resident and business and civic leader who served on the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees, will be the featured speaker at Springfield Technical Community College’s 56th commencement.
Caps and Gowns
Caps and gowns will be available on Thursday, May 25 from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., on Friday, May 26 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; and on Tuesday, May 29 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. They can be picked up in the Office of Student Activities in the Ira H. Rubenzahl Student Learning Commons (B19)/Room 126. There is no need to be measured in advance for your gowns. There is no charge for caps and gowns.
The Civic Center Parking Garage is currently closed and under construction on Bruce Landon Way. Free parking is available at the MGM Springfield Parking Garage. Parking is also available at the Tower Square & Columbus Center parking garages and other downtown area garages (there is a fee charged for these parking areas).
Information concerning the organization of the ceremony will be distributed to you when you pick up your cap and gown. The ceremony will take approximately 2 ¼ hours.
Please read carefully. Because there is no rehearsal, it is important that you read these instructions and reminders:
- Be at the MassMutual Center no later than 5:00 p.m. Use the Main Street entrance on the corner of Main Street and Bruce Landon Way, to Exhibition Hall this is for graduates only. Guests use the Box Office entrance on Bruce Landon Way, which will open promptly at 5:30 p.m. Please see the MassMutual Center Map for more details.
- Upon entering the Main Street entrance, you will be directed to line up alphabetically by your last name to receive your name card; Please note, if you have been awarded honors, an Honors tassel will be given to you at this time as well.
- Please do not bring valuables with you, there will be no place for you to store them during the ceremony.
- All cell phones must be silenced during the ceremony.
- All graduates are expected to remain until the end of the ceremony.
- When you enter Exhibition Hall there will be signs with department names. Go to your department.
- When it is time to hand out diplomas the student marshals will lead the way. Just follow their lead.
- When it is your turn to receive your diploma, hand the name card to the name caller. Wait for your name to be called and then walk up the ramp to receive your diploma.
- When you receive your diploma cover during the ceremony it will be blank. Don’t Panic! If you completed your graduation requirements in summer of 2022 or January 2023, your degree or certificate has already been mailed to you. If you complete your graduation requirements in May 2023, you can expect to receive your degree or certificate in the mail within four to six weeks of the ceremony. If you complete your graduation requirements by August 2023, you will receive your degree or certificate in mid-October. You will receive an email notification when your diploma has been shipped.
The College has engaged the services of a professional photographer to take pictures of each graduate as s/he receives the diploma. Proofs of the pictures will be mailed to you several weeks after Commencement and you are under no obligation to purchase photos. Please note that because we have a professional photographer, no one will be allowed on the floor of the MassMutual Center to take pictures during the ceremony.
At the Conclusion of Graduation
Once the ceremony has ended and graduates have marched out of the arena, you will be free to leave the MassMutual Center. Please arrange to meet your family/friends in a specific location outside the building after the ceremony has concluded. Please know that you will be presented with a diploma cover—but not a degree or certificate—at Commencement. If you completed your graduation requirements in summer of 2022 or January 2023, your degree or certificate has already been mailed to you. If you complete your graduation requirements in May 2023, you can expect to receive your degree or certificate in the mail within four to six weeks of the ceremony. If you complete your graduation requirements by August 2023, you will receive your degree or certificate in mid October. You will receive an email notification when your diploma has been shipped. Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 413-755-4321 or email@example.com if you have any questions about your graduation status.
An American Sign Language Interpreter will be present at the Commencement Ceremony.
Graduates: If you are a Graduate with a disability and need special accommodations for the Commencement Ceremony, please notify the Office of Disability Services at 413-755-4785 by May 8, 2023.
For the General Public: The MassMutual Center has reserved seating sections available for individuals who use wheelchairs or who have mobility limitations. A MassMutual attendant will be able to assist you in locating these sections. The spaces are limited, so please plan accordingly.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL BE PROVIDED WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR CAP AND GOWN.
Past Commencement Ceremonies
Springfield Technical Community College held a virtual commencement on Friday, June 18, 2021, to honor the Class of 2021. In addition to the virtual commencement, STCC hosted a drive-through parade for graduates.