Entrepreneurial Institute

Two students, Entrepreneurial Institute

About the Entrepreneurial Institute

The Entrepreneurial Institute operates within the School of Business and Information Technologies at STCC focusing on various aspects of entrepreneurship education, ranging from a two-year associate degree to high school entrepreneurship program collaborations and student business incubation.

The Entrepreneurial Institute coordinates the YES! (Young Entrepreneurial Scholars) program for high schools throughout the region and has historically offered student business incubation both virtually and on campus.

As a community college based center for entrepreneurship education, the Entrepreneurial Institute serves as a force in the development and delivery of entrepreneurship education across the spectrum of present and future entrepreneurs. Since its inception in 1996, thousands of students have participated in the Entrepreneurial Institute's programs and initiatives.

Our Mission Statement

The Springfield Technical College Entrepreneurial Institute serves as an integral part of STCC's School of Business by reaching into the community to increase the stream of new entrepreneurs who can grow and develop new companies. The Institute provides entrepreneurship education and support for student entrepreneurs who seek business start-up or growth knowledge and information.

Young Entrepreneurial Scholars Program - YES!

YES! high school students participating in the program learn to develop a business plan and the skills needed to start their own business.

YES! students receive valuable hands-on experience while learning how to start their own business. Through the Entrepreneurial Institute at STCC, they are offered the opportunity to participate in a series of events and activities each year. This includes field trips to various wholesale markets, where they use start-up capital to purchase merchandise for resale in their school stores and trade shows, nationally renowned speaker events at STCC, a yearly Women in Business Conference and mentoring programs.

YES! culminates in an annual business plan competition at the end of the school year held on the Springfield Technical Community College campus, where cash prizes are awarded to the individuals with the most feasible plans.

Who is Eligible for Young Entrepreneurial Scholars?

Any area high school which determines the importance of integrating entrepreneurship education into its curriculum is eligible for participation in the Young Entrepreneurial Scholars program. A number of area high schools are currently participating each year in the YES! program.

The following is a partial listing of schools that have participated:

Agawam High School ● Amherst Regional High School ● Career and Technical Education Center ● Chicopee Comprehensive High School ● Chicopee High School ● Easthampton High School ● Enfield High School ● EYE Program, STCC ● Gandara House ● High School of Commerce ● High School of Science and Technology ● Longmeadow Senior High School ● Ludlow High School ● Minnechaug Regional High School ● Monson High School ● Monument Mountain Regional High School ● Northampton High School ● Pathways to Technology High School ● Putnam Vocational High School ● Quaboag Regional High School ● Smith Vocational & Agricultural High School ● Southwick-Tolland Regional High School ● Sport & Medical Sciences Academy ● Springfield Central High School ● Virtual High School ● West Springfield High School, Westfield Vocational High School ● Westover Job Corps


The Entrepreneurial Institute at STCC was started in 1996 to meet the growing demand for entrepreneurial education. Dr. Stephen Spinelli, Jr., co-founder of Jiffy Lube International and former executive director for the Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurial Studies at Babson College, served as a consultant in STCC's entrepreneurial programs at the Institute's inception. He stressed the importance of providing support and assistance to enterprising entrepreneurs. Only 18% of new small businesses succeed. Those aren't good odds. We should help the other 82% who need knowledge and guidance to make it as a successful entrepreneur.

The Entrepreneurial Institute has a rich history of building student entrepreneurship since its start and is a testament to the importance of entrepreneurship education at all ages and educational levels.

National Association for Community College Entrepreneurship (NACCE)

STCC played a key role in the 2002 founding of NACCE.

In 1995, STCC President Andy Scibelli commissioned a feasibility study to determine if a small business incubator aligned with the expertise of the college could foster business growth in the region.

The results prompted STCC to move forward with an entrepreneurship program called the Entrepreneurial Institute. Interest in the Institute grew quickly through a growing interest among community colleges about the importance of entrepreneurship and a need for a national association that would support and grow this interest. Thus was born the idea for the National Association for Community College Entrepreneurship (NACCE).


For more information please contact:

Diane Sabato
Professor, Business Administration
Springfield Technical Community College
One Armory Square, Ste. 1
P.O. Box 9000
Springfield, MA 01102-9000