"College Now" Dual Enrollment Program
Take a FREE COLLEGE CLASS while you’re still in high school!
College Now is a dual enrollment program that allows high school students to enroll in one STCC credit course per semester free of charge. Students who begin their junior year can take up to eight free courses! Courses may be taken to fulfill high school graduation requirements or to pursue an academic interest.
Please note: If a student chooses to register for an additional course during the semester they will be required to pay for that additional course in full.
In order to be eligible for participation, students must meet the following criteria:
- Junior or senior status in high school
- Minimum high school GPA of 2.0
- Cumulative STCC GPA of 2.0 for any previous College Now courses
- Students must submit a completed College Now Application along with a high school transcript
- College Now students are subject to College policies and procedures.
- Students must meet all course prerequisite* requirements. Placement tests may be required for certain courses and must be taken prior to registration.
- College Now students are not eligible for federal financial aid. Federal financial aid guidelines require that all financial aid applicants be high school graduates (or have earned their GED/HiSET) and be admitted into a degree program in order to be eligible for federal financial aid.
- Online, developmental/remedial, ESL, and non-credit courses cannot be taken.
- Students are responsible for the cost of textbooks and/or any course material fees
* A prerequisite is a specific course you must complete before you can take another course at the next level.
College Now Information Sessions
High school students who are interested in learning more about the College Now program are encouraged to attend an information session. Topics will include: the application process, program rules and policies, and available student support services.
Please RSVP for an information session by selecting an available date and time below.
Information sessions are held in the STCC Admissions Conference Room, located in Garvey Hall/Building 16, Room 121. The session will last no longer than an hour, and there will be time at the end for individual questions.
Do you have a question but don't require an appointment? Please contact us at email@example.com.
Applying to the College Now Program
Summer Session 1
Summer Session 2
- Complete the College Now Application and choose three course options with your guidance counselor.
- A guidance counselor or designated school official must sign the application. Homeschooled students must have their application signed by their school district superintendent or school district official.
- Students must meet all course prerequisite requirements. A student may be required to take a placement test prior to registering for the course. Students can view prerequisite requirements by viewing the course description from the schedule of classes.
- Submit your application to the Admissions Office. We are located in Garvey Hall/Building 16, Room 121. We also accept faxes at 413-755-6344 or applications in the form of a .pdf sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students will receive their schedule in the form of an email after the application deadline has passed.
Placement Test Information
The placement test includes a math, reading, writing, and keyboarding component.
1. Visit the Admissions Office to receive a student ID#
- Bring photo ID
- Bring completed College Now application with high school transcript
2. Visit the Testing & Assessment Center in Putnam Hall/Building 17/Room 425
- Testing takes approximately two hours
- Testing will take walk-ins before 1:30pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
- Testing will take walk-ins before 5:30pm on Wednesday
3. After you complete testing, bring the paper results back to Admissions. Admissions will match the placement results with your application and email your schedule accordingly.
Transferring College Now Course Credits
If you plan to transfer your College Now credits to another college or university after you graduate from high school it is highly recommended that you speak directly to the transfer college regarding their transfer policies. Most colleges have a minimum grade requirement for transfer courses.
To obtain an official transcript of your College Now course credits you must request an official transcript from the STCC Registrar s Office. You can order your transcript online, by mail, or in person.
Withdrawing from a College Now course
Students who are not performing well academically may withdraw from the class to avoid having a poor grade on their transcript. A low Grade Point Average (GPA) can affect a student’s future federal financial aid eligibility, so it is very important to withdraw from the course if you believe you are in danger of failing. Please keep in mind that students must withdraw before the deadline date. Please contact the Registrar's Office at 413-755-4321 for more information.
You must provide your own transportation. Information on how to obtain a free parking decal or a free PVTA bus pass is available here: http://www.stcc.edu/parking/.
The College Now Dual Enrollment Program is funded in part by the Commonwealth Dual Enrollment Program.