ZELC-001 Electrical 1 (168 hours)
September 11, 2018- April 4, 2019,
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Springfield Technical Community College and the Gould Construction Institute are pleased to announce a joint partnership in the presentation of this electrical apprenticeship program. This program offers four levels of instruction in compliance with the current regulations of the MA Board of Electrical Examiners. These regulations require that all apprentices entering the trade on or after July 1, 2001, complete 600 hours of classroom instruction (150 per year/75 hours per term) in a curriculum that meets the approval of the Board.
This course consists of 168 classroom hours covering the following areas: Basic Safety; Introduction to Construction Math; Introduction to Hand Tools; Introduction to Power Tools; Introduction to Construction Drawings; Basic Rigging; Basic Communication Skills; Basic Employability Skills; Introduction to Materials Handling; Orientation to the Electrical Trade; Electrical Safety; Introduction to Electrical Circuits; Electrical Theory; Introduction to the National Electrical Code (NEC); Device Boxes; Hand Bending; Raceways and Fittings; Conductors and Cables; Basic Electrical Construction Drawings; Residential Electrical Services; Electrical Test Equipment.
It is required that all students bring a copy of the 2017 National Electrical Code®, NEC® Handbook to class.
This curriculum was developed by the National Center for Construction Education and Research, published by Prentice Hall, and is a nationally recognized, standardized competency based program.
Major Topics covered in Electrical 1 include:
- Electrical Theory 1
- Electrical Theory 2
- Residential Electrical Wiring
- Commercial and Industrial Electrical Wiring:
- Basic Safety
- Basic Math
- Introduction to Hand and Power Tools
- Basic Rigging
- Introduction to Blueprints
- Introduction to Electrical Blueprints
- Electrical Safety
- Hand Bending
- Fasteners and Anchors
- Electrical Test Equipment
- Introduction to the NED
- Boxes and Fittings
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online:
- Click: Online Registration
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in 'electrical' and hit 'Submit'
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter in your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 413-755-4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person:
Go to STCC Building 16, Room 146 to register for the course or call 413-755-4225