Tips for a Successful Zoom Session
How can I get the most out of my tutoring session?
What to Expect
- One on one with tutor
- Ability to screen share
- Use of on-screen annotation or drawing
- Ability to work through Google Doc
- Both parties should have this open to collaborate
- Camera on whenever possible
- This helps to facilitate nonverbal communication which can be more informative at times
- This will also allow you to feel more of a human connection with your tutor
How to Prepare
- Find a quiet and comfortable place to work
- preferably alone so there are no distractions.
- Establish your working area with minimal distractions
- If possible ask others to leave the room
- Turn off music/televisions
- Do your best to avoid answering your cell phone whenever possible
- Make sure you test your video/lighting/and sound prior to the session
- Test headphones ahead of time if you use them
What to Bring
- Open your assignment instructions.
- If you’ve started your assignment, keep it open so that it’s easy to turn to.
- Have any draft of your assignment ready to be shared for collaboration
- Prepare questions and concerns you have before a session.
- These can be broad or vague ideas to get started at first
- “What should my outline contain?”
- “How do I write a thesis statement?”
- “Can you help me understand the assignment criteria?”