Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Health and Wellness Center?

The Health and Wellness Center is located in Building 19, Room 177. The office is Monday and Wednesday 7:30 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Our phone number is (413) 755-4230 and our fax number is (413) 755-6045.

What immunizations do I need if I am a full-time, non-health related major?

Proof of tetanus & pertussis (Tdap) in the last ten (10) years, 2 doses of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine and 3 doses of Hepatitis B vaccine as well as evidence of Varicella (chickenpox) immunity. These vaccinations are required for all high schools and colleges in Massachusetts. Students may submit copies of immunization records from previous schools. If no childhood or school vaccination records are available students may have a blood test, called a titer, drawn to prove immunity to the above diseases.

What is required for Health Science majors?

Any student in a health field must submit all vaccination records required for full-time, non-health major students. Additionally, students enrolled in a health field must have a physical exam as well as yearly tuberculosis screening (Mantoux skin test or a blood test called either Quantiferon Gold or T-SPOT). An initial two-step Mantoux test is required. There may be additional requirements that must be met for specific programs.

Where can a student get these immunizations if he/she has no proof?

If a student needs to be re-immunized because of age or inability to locate his/her record, there are many locations and clinics to obtain vaccinations, some at a reduced rate.

Are any students other than health programs required to have a physical?

All athletes must submit an Athletic Preparticipation Evaluation annually. A Sickle Cell Trait Waiver must be submitted prior to participation in a sport. If they do not have their own doctor and require a physical exam, this service is offered by appointment in the Health and Wellness Center.

Are there any medical services on campus if I am ill or injured?

The Health and Wellness Center is open for patient evaluations year round. A full-time physician assistant is on campus for appointments and walk-in service. Campus Police respond to all campus emergencies.

Do you distribute medication?

Some over-the-counter medications are available in a dispenser located in the lobby of the Health and Wellness Center.

Is literature and other information on various illnesses available in the Health and Wellness Center?

We have a variety of pamphlets and other resources on health and wellness as well as medical conditions and treatments.

What are the Health Insurance Requirements, Coverage and Benefits?

State law requires all individuals to be insured. Students enrolled in nine (9) credits or more are automatically enrolled in a policy and the cost is added to the student's bill. A pamphlet is sent to students describing his/her benefits, and once the bill is paid the student receives an insurance wallet card. The amount of the insurance is listed on the website . Insurance coverage is from September 1st to August 31st. If a student is only enrolled in the spring semester then the coverage is from January 1st to August 31st.

If a student is already insured, the cost of the additional policy may be waived. Waiving the insurance is done online at

Students should choose a primary care physician that accepts the student insurance. The Health and Wellness Center does not currently accept insurance.

Students enrolled in Workforce Training programs that require health insurance verification and are
in need of health insurance coverage should contact one of the following organizations for enrollment assistance:

Connecticut residents: access health CT can be reached by telephone at 1-855-805-4325 or
online at

Massachusetts residents: Health Connector can be reached by telephone at 1-877-623-6765 or
online at