Student Empowerment Fund Guidelines
Supporting students as they transform their lives.
We are aware that sometimes in life, unexpected crises arise. The Student Empowerment Fund is designed to assist students who encounter an unexpected, short-term financial emergency that would prevent them from continuing their education. Our goal is to assist students so that they may continue their studies and successfully complete their coursework. To submit a request please complete the Student Empowerment Fund Request form. All requests for funding receive careful consideration and every effort is made to ensure that students are provided access to resources necessary to enable them to succeed and thrive. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis following the guidelines indicated below.
To be considered eligible, the student must:
- Be currently enrolled at STCC and successfully completed at least six (6) credits
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing
- Demonstrate financial hardship due to an emergency situation, or for unanticipated and compelling circumstances that jeopardize the student’s ability to successfully continue with academic pursuits at STCC
- Consider and/or utilize other sources of funding and support as appropriate including those provided through the STCC Center for Access Services.
Expenses that will be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Temporary housing and/or utilities expenses due to homelessness or housing insecurity
- Emergency medical, dental, or mental health expenses that are not covered by insurance
- Replacement costs of essential personal belongings in the event of fire, theft, or natural disaster not covered by insurance
- Temporary support costs for a student in a dangerous situation due to threats or acts of violence
- Support for emergency dependent-related expenses such as child care
Expenses that will not be considered are as follows, but not limited to:
- Tuition, fees, books, and other standard expenses associated with attending STCC
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Costs of optional programs, entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel, and other non-essential expenses
- Parking tickets and legal fees
Priority for Student Empowerment Funds will be given based on:
- The urgency of the situation
- The student’s overall financial picture and level of hardship
- Whether other resources/support available to the student have been utilized