MassTeach is a Massachusetts Department of Higher Education program that is designed to recruit more teachers of color into K12 classrooms by intentionally partnering with community colleges. Any Massachusetts community college student is eligible to apply. Students who are studying a STEM field at STCC or are majoring in an Education program and are interested in giving back to their community through teaching should strongly consider applying to the MassTeach program.
Students who are selected to be part of the MassTeach program (MassTeach Scholars) will receive advising, testing support, tutoring, and be part of a community. MassTeach Scholars will receive $10,000 each year for their efforts during the 3rd and 4th year of university ($20,000 total). In return, MassTeach Scholars commit to teaching in a high-needs district for four years.
Ideal candidates have a passion for STEM education and major in one of STCC’s related associate degree programs:
- Elementary Education Transfer
- Secondary Education Transfer
- any MassTransfer-eligible pathway for students interested in a STEM-related education Bachelor’s degree at Westfield State, Worcester State, or the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (MCLA)
Take the Next Step
To learn more about the program, please complete our Interest form.
More information about the program is also available on the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education MassTeach website.
How to Apply
The application period is open and students can apply by following the steps below. Students should submit all materials electronically to Allison Little (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications are due on March 15, 2022.
- Obtain a copy of your most recent transcript (unofficial copies will be accepted).
- Get a letter of recommendation from a STEM or education professor from your community college. Recommendations can be sent directly to Allison Little (email@example.com) with the subject line “MassTeach Application: Recommendation for (name of applicant)”.
- Complete and sign the MassTeach application, including open response questions.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through March 15, 2022. Students will be notified within two weeks of their application being submitted about next steps. The final date to submit all materials is March 15, 2022. Submit all materials electronically to Allison Little (firstname.lastname@example.org).