STEM Starter Academy
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is dedicated to investing in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) research, education, and job and workforce development to meet the critical need for employees in these fields. STCC has developed the STEM Starter Academy in response to the Commonwealth’s charge.
- Increase student awareness of and access to STEM programs of study and career opportunities
- Enhance student readiness for and recruiting into STEM pathway programs
- Improve student retention based on academic success and overcoming life barriers
- Increase awarding of certificates or degrees and entry into pathways to STEM jobs or transfer to four-year STEM academic programs
The STEM Starter Academy provides incoming first year students a jumpstart to their first semester on campus. Participants receive a funded academic experience, launching them into their first year by taking classes, receiving tutoring and coaching, going on field trips, seeing guest speakers, and having hands-on experiences. During the academic year, students will also have access to coaching and tutoring support, and participate in STEM Starter Academy events and activities. Students who are interested in participating must apply. Students of color and female students are strongly encouraged to apply.
“My experience at SSA, I can say, was phenomenal. The guest speakers were motivating. The staff was really helpful. The trips were amazing.” STEM Starter Scholar
“Any student with a zest for knowledge, and who wants to know more about how STEM can have an impact on her/his future life is an ideal candidate for STEM Starter Academy." -Dr. Felicia Griffin-Fennell, Director of the STEM Starter Academy
“The STEM Starter Academy provides students with a jump start to their college education, and opens their eyes to all of the fascinating and growing disciplines within STEM. Students receive constant support and coaching during our challenging summer program, and we continue to mentor our students throughout their academic career at STCC, ensuring their continued success!” Dr. Samantha Cote, Coordinator of the STEM Starter Academy
Get a head start on the STCC experience
- Take FREE college courses (College Success Seminar, Math), earning college credits before the fall semester
- Attend FREE field trips to learn more about STEM careers
- Participate in a guest speaker series to learn more from STEM experts
- Participate in lectures and hands-on activities with some of our own STEM professors
- Receive a $600 stipend at the end of the summer, upon successful completion of the courses
- Start building relationships with professors, administrators, staff, and peer mentors, creating a strong support system
- Get early access and exposure to campus resources.
- Build a small community among Summer Bridge peers, developing friendships
Applicants need to:
- Be a Massachusetts high school graduate from the graduating classes 2015, 2016, or 2017.
- Be a U.S. citizen and a Massachusetts resident.
- Submit a STCC admissions application for the Fall 2017 semester and a STEM Starter Academy application.
- Have a GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Have parent/guardian permission, if under 18 years of age.
- Online STEM AcademyApplication Form
- High School Student Application
- Teacher Recommendation Form
- Participation Agreement
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Peer Tutor Schedule
- Application for BIO-117, Topics in Biological research free tuition program
- Dr. Reena Randhir
Director, STEM Starter Academy
- Dr. Robert Dickerman
Dean of the School of Science and Engineering
- Dr. Adrienne Smith
Dean of the School of Engineering Technologies and Mathematics