STEM Starter Academy
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is dedicated to investing in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) research, education, and job and workforce development to meet the critical need for employees in these fields. STCC has developed the STEM Starter Academy in response to the Commonwealth’s charge.
- Increase student awareness of and access to STEM programs of study and career opportunities
- Enhance student readiness for and recruiting into STEM pathway programs
- Improve student retention based on academic success and overcoming life barriers
- Increase awarding of certificates or degrees and entry into pathways to STEM jobs or transfer to four-year STEM academic programs
The STEM Starter Academy provides incoming first year students a jumpstart to their first semester on campus. Participants receive a funded academic experience, launching them into their first year by taking classes, receiving tutoring and coaching, going on field trips, seeing guest speakers, and having hands-on experiences. During the academic year, students will also have access to coaching and tutoring support, and participate in STEM Starter Academy events and activities. Students who are interested in participating must apply. Students of color and female students are strongly encouraged to apply.
“My experience at SSA, I can say, was phenomenal. The guest speakers were motivating. The staff was really helpful. The trips were amazing.” STEM Starter Scholar
"The STEM Starter academy is a golden opportunity for our future students, aimed to guide them towards STEM careers. Apart from free classes, credits, academic guidance, support and stipend, they will enjoy making new friends, fun field trips and free lunch every day! What better way can you spend your summer?" - Reena Randhir, Ph.D., Director of the STEM Starter Academy.
Get a head start on the STCC experience
- Take FREE college courses (College Success Seminar, Math), earning college credits before the fall semester
- Attend FREE field trips to learn more about STEM careers
- Participate in a guest speaker series to learn more from STEM experts
- Participate in lectures and hands-on activities with some of our own STEM professors
- Receive a $600 stipend at the end of the summer, upon successful completion of the courses
- Start building relationships with professors, administrators, staff, and peer mentors, creating a strong support system
- Get early access and exposure to campus resources.
- Build a small community among Summer Bridge peers, developing friendships
(Applications are now closed for the 2017 academic year.)
Applicants need to:
- Be a Massachusetts high school graduate from the graduating classes 2015, 2016, or 2017.
- Be a U.S. citizen and a Massachusetts resident.
- Submit a STCC admissions application for the Fall 2017 semester and a STEM Starter Academy application.
- Have a GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Have parent/guardian permission, if under 18 years of age.
- Dr. Reena Randhir
Director, STEM Starter Academy
- Dr. Robert Dickerman
Dean of the School of Science and Engineering
- Dr. Adrienne Smith
Dean of the School of Engineering Technologies and Mathematics