Child Development Associate Plus
- Estimated Length of Program: 1 year
- Credential Awarded: Certificate of Completion in Child Development Associate Plus
The Child Development Associate Plus (CDA+) Certificate of Completion will prepare graduates to sit for credentialing as Child Development Associates (CDAs) through the Council for Professional Recognition. Credentialing offers early educators working with children ages birth to 5 years old the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities in the early childhood education field. The CDA credentialing program assesses candidates using multiple sources evidence, including an exam, observation and professional portfolio with resources and competency statements prepared by the Candidate.
This curriculum exceeds the minimum requirement of 120 hours of formal early childhood education training, covering the growth and development of children ages birth to 5 years, with training hours in each of the 8 CDA subject areas:
- Planning a safe and healthy learning environment
- Advancing children's physical and intellectual development
- Supporting children's social and emotional development
- Building productive relationships with families
- Managing an effective program operation
- Maintaining a commitment to professionalism
- Observing and recording children's behavior
- Understanding principles of child development and learning
All accepted students must undergo a Criminal Offender Record Information check. The results could impact the student's ability to continue in the CDA program.
Minimum Grade Requirement: Students must achieve a "C" as the minimum passing grade in all 'ECE' courses.
Upon the successful completion of the requirements for this program, a Certificate of Completion in Child Development Associate Plus from STCC will be awarded.