Phlebotomy for Healthcare Workers (Web-led)
WPHL-002 Phlebotomy for Healthcare Workers (Web-led) (60 hours)
Fee: $1,298 includes National Health Career Association exam
- Phlebotomy Notes: A Pocket Guide to Blood Connection (Required)
By: Susan King Strasinger & Marjorie Schaub Di Lorenzo
ISBN: 978-0803625945 (Spiral-bound)
- Phlebotomy: A Competency-Based Approach with Connect Access Card (Required)
By: Kathryn A. Booth & Lillian Mundt
Books may be purchased on Amazon or other book vendors. Scrubs and Lab Coats can be purchased at any uniform supply store.
Fall Schedule Coming Soon
Springfield Technical Community College’s Workforce Development Center is offering a 60-hour training for individuals currently licensed in various medical fields in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to prepare and take the exam to become a certified Phlebotomist in Massachusetts. One must have current certifications in at least one, but not limited to the following healthcare roles:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Patient Care Technician (PCT)
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Certified Electrocardiogram Technician (CET)
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
This non-credit course is aimed to prepare an individual currently working in a certified healthcare position to perform venipuncture and capillary puncture to obtain blood specimens for diagnostic procedures.
- At least 18 years of age within 3 weeks of the class start date.
- High School Diploma or completed HiSet (Formally known as G.E.D.)
- Must provide a copy of current license in good standing
- Must be currently working in approved healthcare worker roles
- Must provide a copy of current certification in good standing.
- English grammar, writing, and speaking skills equivalent to at least the 8th-grade level. (Assessment may be done at STCC.)
- Students are required to submit Immunization / Immunity Documentation Requirements prior to the first day of training:
- Tetanus, diphtheria, and Pertussis (TDaP) vaccine within 10 years.
- hepatitis B – evidence of three vaccination doses, immune titer results, or signed declination form required.
Major duties and responsibilities of the phlebotomist include:
- Correct identification of the patient before collecting samples
- Collection of the appropriate amount of blood by Venipuncture or skin puncture
- Selection of the appropriate specimen containers
- Correct labeling of all specimens
- Appropriate transportation of specimens to the laboratory
- Effective interaction with patients and other personnel in the workplace
- Performance of computer operations and record-keeping related to phlebotomy
- Adherence to all OSHA safety regulations
Health History Forms & Requirements
The required forms can be obtained at the STCC Health and Wellness Center. Link for Phlebotomy Students: Phlebotomy Certification for Healthcare Workers Medical Records Requirements
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online:
- Click: Online Registration
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘Phlebotomy’ and hit 'Submit"
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you.
- Please provide medical clearance information and verify your current healthcare license as soon as possible via email (email@example.com).
To Enroll in Person:
Please call 413-755-4225. At this time due to COVID-19, in-person enrollment has been suspended until further notice.
Withdraw prior to the start of class* - 100% Refund
No Refunds will be given once class begins
* Please note that special refund policies apply to some courses. The cost of non-returnable items will not be refunded.
In the absence of a written third party contractual agreement stating otherwise, all refunds will be issued to the student. Credit card payments will be refunded directly to the credit card if processed within thirty days of the payment.
Course Cancellation Policy
The STCC Workforce Training office reserves the right to cancel any course that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements.