Professional Craft Brewing Certificate Bundle
WTRD-002 Professional Craft Brewing Certificate (All Five Classes)
October 19, 2019 - March 6, 2020
This bundled course includes the 5 modules needed to gain the Professional Craft Brewing Certificate at STCC. The courses are a blend of online work, hands-on lab work at STCC, and conducted brewery tours. The focus of each course is the science and technology of becoming a professional craft brewer. By taking the complete series, a Professional Brewing Certificate is the first step in pursuing a career in brewing. This training will involve the brewing process as well as quality control and the science behind the process.
Students will be able to set up a brewing quality control program and be able to brew beer. Although the beer will be brewed in small quantities (less than 10 Barrel Brew System), the principals covered will be universal so that the student may apply them for any size system.
- Students will become familiar with the raw ingredients of beer and understand the molecular transformations that take place during Craft-Brewing.
- Gain a thorough comprehension of Craft-Brewing principals and methodologies through the hands-on practical application of Craft-Brewing from raw ingredients to finished product.
- Experience firsthand exposure to techniques used by professional Brewers.
- Earn Certification upon meeting all course requirements
- Introduction to Craft Brewing
- Craft Brewing Operations
- Raw Materials in Craft Brewing
- Quality Control in Craft Brewing
- The Craft Beer Business
Each week students must respond to a question, or questions, based on the topic covered in class. Answers to the problem sets will be in the Discussion Board post form and will require around one page of writing to answer completely. To successfully earn certification, students must complete all 5 modules, attend two entire days of conducted Brewery Tours, participate in on-campus classes and pass the Final Exam.
Upon successfully earning a 73% or higher, students can then be formally recognized with their Professional Craft Brewing Certificate.
Michael Bernier is the owner of DIY Brewing Supply in Ludlow, will teach the course again. Bernier has owned the homebrew shop for the past ten years and has been brewing for over 14 years. In addition, he has over 17 years of chemical, microbiological, large-scale fermentation laboratory experience and has performed lab work, recipe formulation and equipment troubleshooting for breweries for several years.
To Enroll Online:
- Click: Online Registration
- Click: ‘Search and Register for Workforce Development Classes’
- Type in ‘Brewing’ and hit 'Submit"
- Click: ‘select’ box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you and it will include the Building and Classroom for the course.
To Enroll in Person:
STCC Campus, One Armory Square, Springfield MA Building 27, Room 143
Withdraw prior to the start of class* - 100% Refund
No Refunds will be given once class begins
* Please note that special refund policies apply to some courses. The cost of non-returnable items will not be refunded.
In the absence of a written third party contractual agreement stating otherwise, all refunds will be issued to the student. Credit card payments will be refunded directly to the credit card if processed within thirty days of the payment.
Course Cancellation Policy
The Workforce Training office reserves the right to cancel any course that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements.