ZELC-003 Electrical 3 (168 hours)
September 11, 2018- April 4, 2019,
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Springfield Technical Community College and the Gould Construction Institute are pleased to announce a joint partnership in the presentation of this electrical apprenticeship program. This program offers four levels of instruction in compliance with the current regulations of the MA Board of Electrical Examiners. These regulations require that all apprentices entering the trade on or after July 1, 2001, complete 600 hours of classroom instruction (150 per year/75 hours per term) in a curriculum that meets the approval of the Board.
- Completion of ZELC-001 Electrical 1
- Completion of ZELC-002 Electrical 2
This course consists of 168 classroom hours covering the following areas: Load Calculations – Branch Feeders and Circuits; Conductor Selection and Calculations; Practical Applications of Lighting; Hazardous Locations; Overcurrent Protection; Distribution Equipment; Transformers; Commercial Electrical Services; Motor Calculations; Voice, Data, and Video; Motor Controls.
It is required that all students bring a copy of the 2017 National Electrical Code®, NEC® Handbook to class.
This program is one of four courses to fulfill the requirements of the Massachusetts Board of Electrical Examiners for Journeyman Electricians. Students must complete 600 hours of classroom instruction (150 per year/75 hours per term).
Major Topics covered in Electrical 3 include:
- Load Calculations-Branch Circuits
- Conductor Selection and Calculations
- Overcurrent Protection
- Box and Fitting Fill Requirements
- Wiring Devices
- Distribution Equipment;
- Distribution System Transformers
- Basic Lighting
- Motor Maintenance: Part 1
- Motor Calculations
- Motor Controls
- Electricity in HVAC Systems
- Hazardous Locations
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online:
- Click: Online Registration
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in 'electrical' and hit 'Submit'
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter in your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 413-755-4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person:
Go to STCC Building 16, Room 146 to register for the course or call 413-755-4225