Blackboard Student Orientations
STCC offers an on-campus instructor-led Online Learning Orientation at the beginning of each semester. Attending one of the orientation sessions is optional, but highly recommended for students new to taking online courses or using the Blackboard Learning System. Sessions are approximately 1.5 hours in length.
If you have any questions about the orientation program, please contact the STCC Online Learning Office at 413-755-4345 or email@example.com.
The orientation is designed to introduce students to online course format, including relevant institutional policies, instructional methods, and academic support resources. Particular emphasis will be placed on accessing and using Blackboard Learn, the primary online course delivery system used at STCC.
Please note: course-specific software, such as MyLab and SAM, and are not covered in detail during the Online Learning Orientation. If you are a student and have questions about these topics, please contact your instructor.
After completing the orientation, participants will be able to:
- identify the three types of online courses offered at STCC
- obtain information about course textbooks and software requirements
- estimate the time commitment and weekly participation requirements of an online course
- seek out appropriate academic and technical support resources
- log in to the STCC Blackboard system and resolve account access problems
- access and navigate a typical Blackboard course website
- locate and retrieve the syllabus and other course documents
- turn in work using Blackboard's file submission Assignment tool
- complete a timed assessment using Blackboard's Test/Quiz tool
- communicate with instructors and classmates using the course Discussion Board
- check grades and review assessment results using the Blackboard My Grades tool
Summer 2019 Semester
Open enrollment from May 20 to May 30
In Person Orientation
- Tuesday, May 28 2:00 p.m. Library Computer Lab Bldg 19/Rm 213
- Thursday, May 30 1:00 p.m. Library Computer Lab Bldg 19/Rm 213
More dates and registration instructions to be announced
The Online Learning Orientation is optional, and each session will cover the same material. Attending one of the orientation sessions is highly recommended for students new to taking online courses or using the Blackboard Learning System.
If accommodation for a disability is required please contact Office of Disability Services at 413-755-4785, a minimum two weeks in advance of the date of the event.
Directions and Parking
Other Important Dates
- Summer Session 2019 begins Monday. June 3, 2019
- Fall 2019 Semester begins Tuesday, September 3, 2019
Online Learning Office
P: (413) 755-4345