Springfield Adult Learning Center (SALC)
The Springfield Adult Learning Center (SALC) provides free classes for adults to further their education by earning a High School Equivalency Certificate (HSE) which includes preparing for a GED or a HiSET exam; developing computer, email, or internet skills; learning English as a second language; or enrolling as a student at Springfield Technical Community College (STCC) college after completing an HSE.
Classes are on campus during day and evening hours as well as online through remote learning classes. Classes focus on preparing students for college, careers, and vocational certificate programs. All classes are free for eligible students.
Adult Basic Education (ABE)
To apply please complete the Adult Basic Education Program application. Please note, new applicants need to click "Create New Account" and create an account with a username and password.
After completing your Adult Basic Education Application, please register for an Assessment Session by clicking a link below. Assessment Sessions are held every Tuesday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Enrollment Sessions will be held every Thursday at 4 pm. please register here. Once you register, you will be sent a zoom link for the session.
The goal of HiSET/GED classes is to prepare students interested in college for the academic challenges of college-level courses and for the challenges of entering employment by offering the following classes:
- Preparation for the High School Equivalency Test Classes (HiSET/GED)
- Technology Classes (Technology, Digital Literacy, and Computer Use)
- College and Career Workshops (Advising and Workforce Readiness Preparation)
- HiSET/GED to Medical Sciences (explore the human body systems while in a HiSET/GED Class)
- Financial Literacy (explore finances, budgeting, and investing while in a HiSET/GED Class)
- Book Club (improve your reading skills while reading in small groups)
Students work to improve their computer and job-ready skills as well as prepare to earn certificates. Hampden Prep prepares students for the 21st century by providing instruction in technology, computer skills, and digital literacy.
- Computer Literacy: keyboarding, email, Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Suite
- Workforce Readiness Skills: resume development support, job-interviewing skills, completing online job applications
- Career Exploration: Designing a pathway to a career
- Financial Literacy: Understanding budgeting, credit reports, money management, credit, and retirement planning
- Certificate Training: Microsoft Office Suite Specialist Certificate, Manager’s ServSafe Certificate, Food Handler ServSafe, OSHA10, CPR, and National Career Readiness Certificate
For more information or to apply for the Hampden Prep class, please complete and submit the Hampden Prep Inquiry form. One of our staff members will contact you.
If you would like more information, please call (413) 755-5389 and leave a message. A staff member will get back to you within a few days.
Transition to College (T2C)
Adult learners who have completed their high school equivalency (HiSET/GED) through a DESE funded program like SALC become STCC college students and have access to the following resources:
- STCC One-Year Program (for eligible adult learners who have obtained a High School Equivalency diploma)
- College credits, developmental courses, academic support, and advising
- Preparation classes and activities for college (technology, math, writing, and reading)
- Workshops to discover career interests, complete college applications, complete financial aid applications
- STCC programs, scholarships, clubs, and activities
- Help with the specific needs of first-generation college students and adult high school equivalence earners
Partner agencies can submit ABE referrals by completing the SALC ABE Partner Referral Form.
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
To apply for ESOL classes, please complete the ESOL Inquiry form. An ESOL staff will give you a follow-up call within a few weeks to complete a short language assessment by phone. Please note that there is a waiting list for ESOL classes.
- English Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing Classes
- Beginner to Advanced English Classes
If you have any questions, please contact our office at (413) 755-3765.
Partner agencies can submit ESOL referrals by completing the Springfield Adult Learning Center ESOL Program - Partner Referral Form.
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Springfield Adult Learning Center
Springfield Technical Community College Campus
Building 27, Suite 149
1 Armory Square
Springfield, MA 01102
Phone: (413) 755-4300
FAX: (413) 755-6333
The STCC / Springfield Adult Learning Center (SALC) is a unique partnership among Hampden County organizations including Holyoke Community College (HCC), Springfield Technical Community College (STCC), Springfield Housing Authority (SHA), and the Community Mitigation Commission. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and the Community Mitigation Commission fund the services through generous grants.