Medical Interpreting Certificate Program
WLIW-050 Medical Interpreting Certificate Program (Web-led) (60 hours)
|S41||June 15 - August 19, 2020|
|S11||September 26 - November 28, 2020|
Required Books and Materials
What You Need to Know to Become a Medical Interpreter - ISBN: 9780578411910
Books may be purchased on Amazon or other book vendors.
Medical Interpreting (Open to All Languages)
Medical interpreters are in great demand both in person and remotely by video or phone. Interpreters can elect to work for a hospital, school, or state agency, or as contractors with many agencies throughout the country. They can also elect to work remotely from home where they can work independently and make their own hours. Open to all languages, this 60-hour program provides working knowledge of medical interpreting, including standards of practice, ethics, HIPAA regulations, cultural competency, and medical terminology/vocabulary. The course provides intense practice via oral role plays on a variety of medical topics. The student will also be introduced to VRI (video remote interpreting) and OPI (Over the Phone Interpreting). Offered in collaboration with TransFluenci EDU, this course is designed for those preparing for entry level careers as medical interpreters as well as for working interpreters preparing for the National Board Certificate exam. Students must be fully bilingual and must be fluent in English and one other language. This program meets the National Board for Medical Interpreter Certification training requirement and prepares you to pass the national certification exam. Upon completion of this course, students may elect to apply for national certification.
For information on certification requirements and cost click on the links below:
Because a language assessment is required, students must register at least two weeks in advance.
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online:
- Click: Online Registration
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘Med’ and hit 'Submit"
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 413-755-4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person:
Go to STCC Building 27, 1st Floor to register for the course or call 413-755-4225
Withdraw prior to the start of class* - 100% Refund
No Refunds will be given once class begins
* Please note that special refund policies apply to some courses. The cost of non-returnable items will not be refunded.
In the absence of a written third party contractual agreement stating otherwise, all refunds will be issued to the student. Credit card payments will be refunded directly to the credit card if processed within thirty days of the payment.
Course Cancellation Policy
The STCC Workforce Training office reserves the right to cancel any course that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements.