Medical Interpreting Training Program - Spanish or Portuguese Online
WLIW-051 Medical Interpreting Training Program - Spanish or Portuguese Online (Web-led) (60 hours)
$1,070 includes program manual and Laboratory fees.
For more Information, please contact:
Workforce Development Office
Building 27, 1st Floor
- Phone: 413-755-4225
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students enrolling in the course should be fully bilingual (English-Spanish) or (English-Portuguese)
- Prospective students will be screened for pronunciation, accuracy, comprehension and overall readiness for the course.
- 18 years or older.
Our online Medical Interpreter course is a self-paced, interactive training program that prepares students for careers in the growing field of medical interpretation. The course offers flexibility to access educational material on your own time up to 12 weeks.
This is a 60-hour course with extensive coverage of:
- Medical terminology
- Basic anatomy
- Common diagnosis and medications
- Standards of Practice
- Cultural Competency
Students will also learn standards of practice, roles of the interpreter, code of ethics, cultural competency, laws and regulations affecting medical interpreters as recommended by the International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA) and the National Council of Interpreters in Health Care (NCIHC). One-on-one coaching sessions are scheduled through- out the course to help students practice learned material. Course instructors are skilled medical interpreters and health professionals with extensive clinical experience.
This is a non-credit course offered in collaboration with Med Talk Training, which has received accreditation by the Commission for Medical Interpreters Education (CMIE) for its online Spanish-English Medical Interpreter training program. A division of the IMIA, the CMIE’s mission is to enhance the competiveness of medical interpreting education and provide consistent quality of medical interpreting education. The Med Talk online Medical Interpreting course is one of only a handful in the United States accredited through the IMIA.
Students completing the course with a grade of 70 percent of better and who pass the oral exam will receive a certificate of completion from STCC.
Suggested Enrollment Process
To Enroll Online:
- Click: On Line Registration
- Click on Search and Register for Workforce Training Classes
- Type in ‘Med’ and hit 'Submit"
- Carefully click the SELECT box for the course that you want to take. There may be several choices so make sure you select the right course and dates.
- Enter in your personal and credit card information. Your receipt will be immediately emailed to you. It should have the Building and Classroom for the course.
- If it does not, check with our office at 755 4225 a few weeks prior to the class to confirm the room numbers.
To Enroll in Person:
Go to STCC Building 27, 1st Floor to register for the course or call 755 4225
STCC's Authorized Testing Center
STCC's Authorized Testing Center is an Authorized Testing Center for the CCHI CoreCHI Certification through our partnership with Comira Testing.
This would be an option for those students who want to take the next step. You are encouraged to discuss this option with your instructor