Springfield Adult Learning Center (SALC)
Adult Basic Education Services
STCC offers free classes for adults for the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) preparation (previously known as the GED test) and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL). These classes take place in four locations both on and off campus during the daytime and evening hours. The classes focus on preparing students for careers in addition to entering community college and vocational certificate programs. The STCC / Springfield Adult Learning Center (SALC) is a unique partnership among Hampden County organizations including Holyoke Community College (HCC), Springfield Technical Community College (STCC) and the Springfield Housing Authority (SHA). The services are funded through a generous grant by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
The Springfield Adult Learning Center provides a range of classes and services including:
* Preparation for the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET)
* English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
* The Transitions to College Program
* Computer Literacy classes
* Specialized software for computer- based instruction
* Career Exploration
* Workforce Readiness Skills
Please click this link ABE FAQs for Frequently Asked Questions
Registering for Classes
All applications for classes and other services begin with a visit to the STCC Adult Education Center located in Building 27/1st Floor. The Center is centralized walk-in information, support and referral center for use by members of the community who would like to obtain a High School Equivalency diploma, improve their English speaking and listening skills, or further their education. Due to the high demand for these free services the Center limits the number of applications for ABE, HiSET prep classes to 130 per month. The Center is open 8:00am-4:00pm Monday - Friday and until 7:00 pm on Tuesday and Thursdays.
WebLearn is a distance learning website maintained by the Springfield Adult Learning Center (SALC). This resource empowers future students to get a head start on their education while still on our waitlist for Adult Basic Education services.
To access Weblearn, click www.salcweblearn.org
Transition to College Services
The STCC Transition advisors work with adult learners who have obtained a High School Equivalency diploma and wish to further their education. The Transition to College Services helps adult learners:
* Resolve any questions, concerns, or anxieties they may have about attending college
* Apply for admission and financial aid
* Choose a degree or certificate program
* Connect with the support services available on the STCC campus
* Academic advising and follow up support services are available to the student as part of the Transition Services.
Click here to access our Program Data and Performance Outcomes
For more information on services contact the Adult Education Center at 413-755-4300
STCC Adult Education Center
Building 27, 1st floor
One Armory Square
PO Box 9000 Springfield, MA 01102-9000
(413) 755-4300 Fax: (413) 755-5306